question

Dave W avatar image
Dave W asked

Custom Server - Multiple builds for Lobby and GameServer?

Hi,

We're working on a simple MOBA-like game where users can connect to a Lobby with other players, then once they've selected their character they will then load into the game itself. I've read a bunch of the other threads on here and I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Obviously during development, we're restricted to one server at a time so production deployment could change.

Our plan is to develop a single executable game server that can take, let's say two game modes:
FreeForAllLobby (FFAL) and FreeForAll (FFA)

We matchmake our users into a FFAL session which starts our game server into the pure lobby session. Once all the character selection is done, we run a server call for StartGame to start our FFA server. We pass the necessary information to the users with the specific Lobby ID so they can join directly.

In a production environment, we'd treat these as separate builds, correct? This would allow us to load more lobby instances on a single server since they would not be as resource intensive.

Does this seem like a good approach going forward? I currently have an "all in one" solution that moves the user straight from the lobby into the game session without ever leaving - it works but it feels like it's more of a headache to develop with so far whereas that clean break of Lobby/GameSession seems like it'd be easier to deal with.

If you have any questions about the approach, please let me know.

Thanks!
Dave

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Given that the two types of multiplayer session are vastly different from each other, and will have very different performance characteristics, I would also want those to be separate builds, running on different machines. As you point out, that would let you scale each appropriately for your concurrent users.

But to be clear, you can upgrade to having more than one server at a time whenever you want to. Just put a credit card on file in your title and open a ticket with us to let us know how many servers you want to have, max. You can also change which server model you want to have as the one we run for you in EC2 at the same time - just let us know.

Alternately, you can also use the external game server hosting logic to run your servers on your own local hardware if you're in an early enough stage of development where you're not worried about the build being as close as possible to the final revision (for validation testing).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.