question

anusha avatar image
anusha asked

Not able to connect to multiplayer server on openarena client

I'm attempting to run a multiplayer server on PlayFab using openarena (https://github.com/PlayFab/MpsSamples/tree/main/openarena). I'm able to build the server, but the open arena client keeps displaying the message "awaiting connection" when I try to connect to the server.

Can you assist with this?

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

I have done a test, and I can connect to the server successfully. Have you tested it locally before deployed it to the PlayFab? We recommend that you can use LocalMultiplayerAgent Overview - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to debug the server locally to see what is wrong with the connection. Also, you can share your server build configuration for our research.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

anusha avatar image anusha commented ·

Yes before deploying to PlayFab i used LocalMultiplayerAgent . I didn't find any error attaching the screenshot below, it says currentgamestate= Active

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao anusha commented ·

Can you connect to the server when you test it locally?

0 Likes 0 ·
anusha avatar image anusha commented ·

I am able to connect locally.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao anusha commented ·

It's weird to be able to connect locally but not online, can you share the config of your server build for our research? Meanwhile, since it seems like you are testing the connection within a VM, can you test to connect to the server from another device?

0 Likes 0 ·
Shashank avatar image Shashank Gosen Gao commented ·

Hi,

I am following up on this where @anusha left off, and following the git repo: MpsSamples/openarena at main PlayFab/MpsSamples GitHub locally there are no issues. But in a VM, I am unable to connect as it keeps showing the same status as @anusha posted earlier.

I thought I made a mistake and redeployed everything again, but still the same issue. So, I tried hosting the server on the VM and connecting locally through my machine, I can connect and play the game, but cannot connect to the server in the VM. VM is a Win-10-pro image FYR without any configurations. Could you help us out here by testing it in a VM from your end and letting us know( Host it and connect to the server in a VM)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Shashank avatar image
Shashank answered

@Gosen Gao status update, tried running the VM in the same region/close to the gameserver which is being hosted on PlayFab, and can connect to it 5/10 times, basically 50% chance of connecting to the game server. If it does not connect, the message stating "Awaiting Connection, Server is for low pings only".

From my understanding of testing this multiple times, locally there is no issue of connecting to your server wherever it is hosted, but if you try connecting to the server in a VM, it is dependent on the VM's location and proximity to the server where there is a 50% chance of connecting if the VM is present in the same region or close to the game-server region, else it's <5% chance of connecting and hoping one connection goes through.

Since I know my game server is hosted on PlayFab, is it possible to get the ping increased for my game server hosted in that specific region so that connection is stable irrespective of being close to the game server itself

Note: Did some diagnostics using Wireshark, and it's shows up a q3a(quake 3 config setting) which needs to be disabled or increase the ping. It would be pretty helpful if you could point me in the right direction or whom to reach out to for helping me out :)

Thanks

1 comment
10 |1200

JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ commented ·

The MpsSamples/openarena sample just demonstrates a way to wrap any existing game with the PlayFab Multiplayer Game Server SDK. We do not provide any support for OpenArena itself. It seems there is a big latency when your try to connect to the server in a VM. We'd suggest you use Quality-of-service (QoS) beacons to measure player latency to Azure. If you need the help to configure OpenArena server, you may seek help from OpenArena forums.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.