question

Caleb Vetter avatar image
Caleb Vetter asked

"Deploying" Time

When I go to deploy a multiplayer server build, I always have insanely long wait times for it to deploy. Typically 30-60 min. How long should it take? I thought I read 5-10 min and most tutorials say "a few minutes". All my builds have been the most basic possible. Still learning and just trying to get examples to work.

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

The deployment time will fluctuate according to the actual statements. We would suggest you leave the enough time for deployment of the server.

For your case, you can debug the server locally to save the time for the iterative test. Please refer to this documentation -- Locally debugging game servers and integration with PlayFab - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs for more information. PlayFab local debugging toolset includes a mock PlayFab VmAgent that provides mock responses to the GSDK and verifies whether your game server is integrated with the GSDK correctly. Typically, if the server can pass the local verification, it could also work fine on cloud.

If the Multiplayer Server’s deployment time is too long to affect your live project, please let us know.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Caleb Vetter avatar image Caleb Vetter commented ·

I was able to get local debugging setup in the mock vm agent and confirm that everything starts and shutsdown correctly and my game can connect to the server. Everything is working as it should. But when I upload to the PlayFab server it still takes over 30 minutes to deploy (this last one took 40 minutes).

Is it because I have the free development account and using the Standard_A1_v2 machine? I see that the D2av4 is the preferred machine type. When I start using that type later, will it deploy faster?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Caleb Vetter commented ·

In theory, yes. In our test, the deploying time would reduce when we select the VM with more cores.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.