question

joshuakent27 avatar image
joshuakent27 asked

PlayFabClientAPI UpdateCharacterData/UpdateUserData in an online context

Hi, I'm working on a game where players will create rpg characters and be able to interact within a player hub via server and then move into instanced dungeons to gain experience and loot. The dungeon experience is meant to be single player.

If at all possible, I would like to avoid more server usage than possible, and I am wondering if it would be feasible to keep the dungeons running locally on the client and update the character/user data with any inventory, experience, or level changes at the end of the dungeon.

My obvious concern is that people could hack it and cheat by adding whatever they want to their character.

Is the client api primarily meant for games with a focus on single player where the affects of cheating is limited or is there a usecase for it in an online, multiplayer-lite context as well?

apismultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

For clarification, if you use the Client API to update data, you can't prevent cheating, cheaters can easily use client APIs to update their data. So, we recommend you use Azure Functions to discouraging players from cheating. Specifically, you can call the Server API UpdateCharacterData/UpdateUserData on CloudScript using Azure Functions (CSAF) and let players call the Entity API ExecuteFunction to trigger the corresponding Azure Functions. By doing this, you can do the custom anti-cheat verification in the Azure Functions on your own.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.