question

martin-2 avatar image
martin-2 asked

Unity Netcode NetworkTransport for PlayFab Party

Hello everyone,

I am currently researching into whether PlayFab is the correct Multiplayer solution for our current project. We are currently thinking of using Unity and Netcode for GameObjects, and are thinking of using PlayFab Party for the network transport.

Netcode for GameObjects uses a NetworkTransport class for this, which can be inherited from for custom transports. There is also a repository of existing custom transports that people have written for different established network transports (see https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/multiplayer-community-contributions/tree/main/Transports). With PlayFab Party being fairly well known, I had expected there to be an existing custom NetworkTransport written for it. I had a quick look through these forums for "NetworkTransport" but to no avail.

Is there a pre-written custom NetworkTransport available that I am missing? Or if we were to use PlayFab Party should I be expected to write my own (which will add extra development time onto the project)?

Thanks in advance to any replies,

Martin

unity3d
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

The Unity Nedcode is a networking library, so you need a custom NetworkTransport to use it to transport message between clients and servers. But Azure PlayFab Party is a low-latency chat and data communication solution for cross-platform and cross-device multiplayer games. The feature of data transporting is its most basic feature. You can use it directly for data transfer. For more info, please refer to Getting started with Azure PlayFab Party.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

martin-2 avatar image martin-2 commented ·

Hello Gosen,

Thank you for getting back to me. For various reasons we are planning to use Netcode for GameObjects (NfGO). One of the features we appreciate about it is the ability to change our transport method without having to re-write any of the existing network code we already have.

We were hoping to be able to use PlayFab Party for our network transport. With both Unity's NfGO and Azure's PlayFab Party both being well-known, established development tools, I was hoping there would be a custom NetworkTransport for NfGO already pre-written. I am doubtful that we are the first group that are attempting this, and it would be beneficial for something like this to exist without every development team having to write essentially the same code. It is currently the only hurdle I can see that prevents these two tools from working together.

Thanks again for any help you can offer,

Martin

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao martin-2 commented ·

We don’t have a pre-written custom NetworkTransport for NfGO, you may need to implement it by your own.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.