question

Rizwan Babar avatar image
Rizwan Babar asked

PlayFab with Photon Server

PlayFab connects with photon application using app ID. But is it possible when using Photon Server (Self Hosting Mode) instead of photon cloud? I need to call PhotonAuthentication but it uses App ID as parameters.

photon
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

So far I have learned that:

Photon Cloud is a fully managed software as a service (SaaS) solution. You can completely concentrate on your application client while hosting, server operations and scaling is all taken care of by Exit Games.

Photon Server is an On-Premises server application that you can run and host on machines of your choice. Fully customizable and the authoritative control gives you the freedom to configure and set up your own multiplayer game backend.

Photon Cloud is running on Photon Server.

As the Photon quickstart shows, PlayFab need a Photon Cloud application to set up Photon Multiplayer to work with PlayFab. If you want to use only Photon Server then all the necessary methods to connect to PlayFab should be created by your own.

For more advanced development questions about Photon, please consult Photon support.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rizwan Babar avatar image Rizwan Babar commented ·

Right. I was wondering if the auth token request is necessary part? What if I skip it and directly connect my game to Photon Server. Keeping the playfab only for player data purpose.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Rizwan Babar commented ·

A Photon custom authentication makes sure that you can securely join the player into a Photon room. If you don’t have that purpose and use PlayFab only for player data. It is possible to use only Photon Server.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.