question

SirGuySW avatar image
SirGuySW asked

GDPR/CCPA and publishing player location

Regarding GDPR and/or CCPA is it 'safe' to publish player location data received from/via/through PlayFab to in-game public player profiles (profiles include players' in-game stats and username)?

The PlayFab terms (https://playfab.com/terms/) indicate that PlayFab processes personal data within compliance to GDPR/CCPA but are developers also responsible to maintain compliance with GDPR/CCPA when using data after it passes through PlayFab or is that data 'cleaned' and safe to be published?

Also: Is there a way for end users to individually opt-out of PlayFab's geolocation services (directly through PlayFab itself)? In other words: without PlayFab users (game developers) needing to massage the data on a player-by-player basis but by allowing end users (players) to communicate their opt-out preference directly to PlayFab (via API call through the game or actual direct communication externally (ie: a web form on a PlayFab domain, or similar)).

EDIT: I'm unsure how to find the most relevant topic since I can only see topics after inputting at least 3 characters... These topics don't exist: Priv (acy) GDP (R) CCP (A) geo (location) loc (ation) use (r ... rights, privacy, safety, data, etc) saf (ety) ...

I finally noticed the search filters 'With Topics' field allows searching topics with just 1 character. 'd' showed 'Player Data'. I hope that is a sufficiently appropriate topic to tag.

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

are developers also responsible to maintain compliance with GDPR/CCPA when using data after it passes through PlayFab or is that data 'cleaned' and safe to be published?

PlayFab is committed to comply with all applicable provisions of the GDPR and other applicable Data Protection Laws. For your question, since we cannot offer legal advice, you may consult your legal advisor.

Is there a way for end users to individually opt-out of PlayFab's geolocation services (directly through PlayFab itself)?

PlayFab doesn’t support setting geo-location service for players individually. Feel free to post a feature request for it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.