question

Michael Morrison avatar image
Michael Morrison asked

CreateMatchmakingTicket returning 500 errors randomly

I have been load testing our server solution, and also testing playfab scaling. I recently started sending thousands of players at a time for matchmaking (which is expected at launch), and it has been going well for several days, until last night.

I started getting 500 errors from the CreateMatchmakingTicket endpoint, randomly. At first I thought maybe Playfab was upset with my IP and rate limiting me, but I’d expect a different response for rate limiting than 500. And like I said I've been doing these tests for a while with no issue.

I also started running the requests manually one at a time (slowly), and some go through, some return an error.

Here's some data from the http responses that hopefully an admin can look up:

Errorhash: 33f52bce208c6198cbea7a057e6beb10

Request ID: 1-624720c4-3415ad8e14fb6b2a3a74e197

Errorhash: b98629574eeeeb80a88e2edae0e52373

Request ID: 1-6247224d-14914a8c341b0fce1a94674e

Matchmaking
6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao commented ·

May I know your Title ID?

1 Like 1 ·
Michael Morrison avatar image Michael Morrison Gosen Gao commented ·

EBAED thank you. And I just tried from a completely different state and am still getting error responses (some go through, some error out), so I don't think it was my IP.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Morrison avatar image Michael Morrison Gosen Gao commented ·

I have some more details I think may be relevant. While testing, I was approaching the 100k player limit, so I ran a "Delete all players" task within Playfab using the Scheduled Tasks area.

It did delete all the users, and that's about when I started receiving these random errors as well.

Also, when I create a brand new user, it gets deleted within a minute or so and when I try to send a LoginWithCustomID request I get a 400 "Player has been deleted" message. But my delete players task stopped running several days ago. My guess is that this process never stopped running on the Playfab backend, and is causing us issues.

I have copied our build to a different Title, and things are working under the new title just fine, so it appears just this EBAED title is broken.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Michael Morrison commented ·

I will try to reproduce the issue according to your description.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Morrison avatar image Michael Morrison commented ·

Bumping for a reply hopefully. This issue is still going on.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Morrison avatar image Michael Morrison commented ·

Duplicate comment.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Michael Morrison avatar image
Michael Morrison answered

I think I figured out the issue. We were approaching our player limit, so I was looking for a way to delete the players. I created a Segment under Players with the action "Delete player". I didn't realize these segments are basically "always on".

I thought these Segments were only "active" when you click the "Run task" icon, but apparently every time a player is created, they are checked against these Segments, and since I had one that was set to Delete player, it immediately deleted any newly created player.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/analytics/segmentation/ <-- there is a mention these segments happen "in real time".

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.