question

gabrielferreira avatar image
gabrielferreira asked

How to version Catalog in Economy V2

I want to have multiple catalog versions live, as the game client could be running with multiple versions, and from one game client version to another, the associated Catalog could have breaking changes compared to old ones.

In the Legacy Catalog, I was able to have multiple versions per item, however in the Catalog V2 I don't see a field in the REST API that could help me with that. What is the recommended way to have multiple versions of the catalog published at the same time using the REST API?

Account ManagementIn-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Economy V2 does not support creating multiple Catalog versions like Legacy Economy. As Economy version 2 (V2) FAQ - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn mentions that “the Economy V2 Catalog has changed from being a single document to individual versioned items all of which are in their own document with their own metadata.” In your case, you want the game client to be able to run multiple catalog versions, and the items in the catalog may be different for different versions. As a workaround, in Economy V2, you can configure custom content types to manage different versions of items, players can then call the API SearchItems to query and filter items based on content types, the content types exist as a performant filter when searching and make it easier to group items. For more information, you can refer to Search - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com answered

We're investigating a V2 Catalog versioning feature currently. Out of curiosity, what do you use Versioned catalogs for? It is build releases, content releases, events, or something else? Thanks.

1 comment
10 |1200

gabrielferreira avatar image gabrielferreira commented ·

We want catalog versioning mainly during game release windows. Maybe the new version is not compatible with the older one, so each Client should use a different client version.

This is important because during these release windows, we would have at least 2 versions live. The old one and the new one, until we force an upgrade after a while.

Does this context helps?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.