question

cllera avatar image
cllera asked

Statistics - What are the limitations?

Hello,

We are developing a typical F2P game with hundreds of levels, and as all of them do, we want to have a hi-score leaderboards of your friends in Facebook for every level.

I found in the docs that using Statistics seems to be the best approach for this. A player will create/update his/her score with UpdatePlayerStatistics() for a target level, and another player will read the scores of a level with GetFriendLeaderboard() (as well as his/her own score of that level with GetPlayerStatistics()).

In that scenario, Leaderboards will be created for every level, having Statistics names "level_1_score", "level_2_score", ..., "level_300_score", ... and so on.

Is this the best approach for this problem? And if that's so, where is the limit? Are there strict limitations with the stored data for the Core version?

Thanks for your help!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The limitations for our free service are listed on the https://playfab.com/limits page. If you need higher limits, we can work out a custom contract for you if you need this immediately, but we'll have a way for you to select your "overages" in the Game Manager shortly.

I will say though, that I would always recommend leaving statistic reporting turned off in the client (the default for all titles in our service), and use Cloud Script to update stats, so that you can put in logic to check for cheating (and adjust it over time).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cllera avatar image
cllera answered

Thank you very much! I saw this "Stats" limitation but didn't associate it with the Statistics and Leaderboards.

Ok, right now we don't need this inmediatly, so we will try it and then contact you for a custom contract as you said.

Thank you again for the quick response :).

10 |1200

develop avatar image
develop answered

Hi,

I have the same problem for a game with hundreds of levels. Like how Candy Crush Saga does.

Is "Each level has its own leaderboard" the right way to implement the feature?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It depends upon your game's requirements. Each statistic in PlayFab is also a leaderboard. If you just want to track on values without having any leaderboard capability, you could just store them in User Data (or more likely User Read Only Data).

10 |1200

develop avatar image
develop answered

User Read Only Data should be a better solution for me.

Thank your for you support!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.