question

Ruben Pascual Blanco avatar image
Ruben Pascual Blanco asked

Are excessive Azure Functions calls throttled? (safety)

I dived deep into azure functions (transitioning from legacy) and they seem incredibly powerful. They can also be optimized a tad better (trough caching) than legacy for lower time and API call costs and also by not having a monolithic script for everything.

But my fear is about some hacker maliciously spamming a function call billions of times, effectively emptying my bank account since Azure functions actually bills your account and also has Storage, which will count for costs even if the API calls get throttled themselves. Or would the calls to Azure from Playfab get also throttled too? I did not have this fear with Legacy since it was all enclosed within Playfab, But do now since this is an external Microsoft service. Is Playfab still in charge of the initial call from the client as a "middleman"?

TL.DR I know API calls are safe since a hacker would be throttled. Are Azure Functions calls also throttled someway?

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

If an Azure function is called from client API Cloud Script - Execute Cloud Script - REST API (PlayFab Client) | Microsoft Learn, it does follow the throttling policy as same as other client APIs. So yes, PlayFab is in charge of the initial call from the client as a "middleman".

Since I am not an expert for Azure, you can seek for more help from Azure Support about Azure Function. Thanks!

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ruben Pascual Blanco avatar image Ruben Pascual Blanco commented ·

Oh, thats very reassuring! means no one can maliciously leave us bankrupt trough milions of azure function calls in the span of very short times.

1 Like 1 ·
Simon Cui avatar image Simon Cui Ruben Pascual Blanco commented ·

Yes. Please let us know if you have further questions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.