question

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt asked

RedeemCoupon .. do I really need to add a CatalogVersion?

I'm looking at RedeemCoupon and find it very unintuitive that I would have to include a CatalogVersion for RedeemCoupon - isn't that the point of the coupon - to contain the CatalogVersion within?

This means if I have 100 different CatalogVersions, for a user to redeem a coupon, I'd either have to say "Choose what you want to redeem" and have 100 dropdown options, or go through each and every CatalogVersion if/until one of them succeeds, leaving the client waiting.

If there's a way, please let me know :)

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, I did see that you'd closed this, but I wanted to provide some context, so that everyone has all the info:

The way we initially designed the Catalog system, the use model was that a title would have all items in the catalog. The developer would then create a new version of the catalog for an update where items were changing, so that it could be tested prior to releasing that update (and making that version the primary one). Hence, the reason it's CatalogVersion, rather than CatalogId.

Many calls that take a CatalogVersion have it as an optional parameter, specifically so that titles using that model can do their testing. The released client would then not use that parameter, so that it uses the default catalog (the primary).

Now, quite a few developers are using the catalog system a different way, with items spread across several. While that's certainly an option, it's worth noting that because that's not how the system was designed, there's one thing you do need to be aware of - currently, receipt validation always uses the primary catalog.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.