question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

What is the proper way to update a build?

What is the proper way to update a build from say, version v1.0 to v1.1?

I've been doing the following steps in this order.

1. Uncheck all regions for v1.1

2. Upload the v1.1 build

3. Edit the settings for the v1.1 build (min free slots, max instances, etc.)

4. Edit the game mode that was previously pointing to v1.0 --> point to v1.1

5. Check region(s) for the v1.1 build to make it go live.

Is this the correct way of doing it?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I'd do it like this:

For my example, I'm assuming you have build 1.0 running in your game, players are playing games in that version, and this isn't an emergency situation where you need to get the build offline immediately.

1. Upload build 1.1.

2. Make sure your configuration is set how you need it, including adding your Game Modes (don't change Game Modes for 1.0 - add new ones for 1.1).

2. Set it active in one of your regions with players and wait for at least one server to get to the "Running" state.

3. Deactivate that region in build 1.0 so that new sessions in that region will be 1.1 going forward.

4. Monitor that region until you're satisfied there aren't any issues that were missed in test. If there are, re-activate 1.0 in that region, wait for that region's server to get to "Running", and de-activate that region in 1.1. If it's a critical issue, boot players out of your 1.1 game by killing the sessions from the Active Games tab after you've de-activated the region in 1.1. Otherwise, proceed with the rest.

5. Set the new build active in any other regions 1.0 is in.

6. Wait for those region's 1.1 servers to get to "Running".

7. Deactivate those regions in build 1.0.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Perfect, thanks. That's really cool how PlayFab can handle the complexity of having v1.0 and v1.1 instances running at the same time while the transition takes place.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

For step (2), when you say to add new ones for 1.1, does that mean it must have a new unique game mode name? Or is it fine to have the same game mode name?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

You can re-use the Game Mode name, no worries.

1 Like 1 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) brendan commented ·

Hi Brendan - just a follow up question to this. In this scenario, the client would then need to be patched/updated to point to build 1.1. Is that correct?

Is it possible to patch the server without the clients having to be patched, too? I'm guessing it would involve removing a build and then replacing it with a new build with the same name, but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right way.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.