question

Marlon avatar image
Marlon asked

How to Prevent Users from Logging in on Multiple Devices

We need to prevent our users from logging in on multiple different devices for various reasons concerning our new app. Any advice on how to get this done? They are logging in using Playfab. BrandenV I know we talked about this in feature requests, but I need help on this. Any thing I can do?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We do have a backlog item for allowing titles to choose whether they allow users to have multiple simultaneous logins (the default, and current behavior), and we'll add you to the list of folks asking about that (we use this to track "votes" for prioritization). In the meantime, there was a recent thread on how to enable this yourself, using Cloud Script: https://community.playfab.com/questions/382/206721757-How-to-prevent-duplicate-login-.html

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Marlon avatar image
Marlon answered

I have read that thread before in the past, and I am still confused. Also we need to stay in the standard tier. Seems like our only option is to try and hardcode it which can be very buggy, or to just wait until this feature is implemented by playfab. The problem is that this is the only problem stopping us from releasing. We also have fans waiting for us to release and we can't keep them waiting much longer.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I understand the desire to remain in the Standard tier, but what confuses you about the proposed solution?

10 |1200

Marlon avatar image
Marlon answered

In the official answer for that thread it says "As Hamza recommended, the thing to do in this case would be to check in the title code." When I look for Hamza in the other comments I don't see anyone called Hamza, (maybe he deleted the comment) and you say to check in title code but I do not understand what you mean by that. Also we can not afford to leave standard tier. It would be perfect if playfab had a way to handle this on dashboard for standard users. No way for me to use there session key to do this?

10 |1200

Marlon avatar image
Marlon answered

With 1800+ people already intrested in our project, we can not afford to keep them waiting much longer. This is extremely important for us to have solved as soon as we can, it is the only thing stopping us from releasing.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I can see where that would be confusing. He's using the username "johntube" in our forums. We usually respond using his name (Hamza), so it's in most of the threads he's in, but likely not all. Using johntube would be the best way to find his posts.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

In that case, I would definitely recommend using the system described in the linked post (above), using Cloud Script. We will not be updating to provide the option to prevent multiple sign-ins automatically in PlayFab within the next month.

10 |1200

Marlon avatar image
Marlon answered

Is there no way to use there session key for this? The ticket they create when they first login?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The session ticket is the authentication used for any subsequent calls after sign-in. But as I said, the service is specifically designed to allow for multiple sign-ins by a player at once. So if the player signs in on one, two, or ten devices, that player will have a distinct session ticket on each, and they will all be valid until they expire. I realize that "invalidating old tickets" sounds like a simple request, but the architecture of the ticket system is not designed for it right now, and it will take significant work to enable this. Again, it is on our backlog, and we are going to prioritize it as soon as we can, but our current commitments mean that we will not be able to take this on in the immediate future.

10 |1200

Marlon avatar image
Marlon answered

I understand brendanv, I truly do. I know it would not be an easy task since you are already designed to accept multiple logins on different devices. I know I will see this feature implemented in the future by Playfab, and I know you guys are working as hard as you could. Anyone reading this interested in seeing this feature implemented in playfab up vote it here https://community.playfab.com/hc/communities/public/questions/206909657-User-Login-on-Multiple-Device-Dashboard-Controller so your voice can be heard.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.