question

Chad Franklin avatar image
Chad Franklin asked

Matchmaking Friends into a Game

Hello, I have a game in which a group of friends (maximum of 3) wants to enter a match together. The game is the computer vs the players, so there are no teams.

Is there a way to do this with the Matchmaking system? I can't use "MembersToMatchWith" as the ticket size can't be equal to the MaxSize of the Queue. I also can't set MaxSize to be one higher as the match never starts as outlined here (https://community.playfab.com/questions/35546/issue-with-matchmaking-number-of-players-in-ticket.html). Also "MembersToMatchWith" is meant to be used with teams.

I thought about having the players enter matchmaking separately with a “String Equality Rule” but doesn't that run the risk of starting the match without one of the players if one player takes too long to create and send a ticket?

Since I already have the players that want to play together, should I even be using the Matchmaking system? Thanks.

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

According to your description, it seems that the members of a game are solid, I don’t see any “match making” process here, hence I will suggest you directly using a lobby-like feature and directly request a multiplayer server after all the players are ready. Lobby-like feature is not supported by Multiplayer Server 2.0, you may implement a work around, however, it is necessary because players start the session without all team members’ confirmation is resources-wasting due to the high possibility of cancellation.

Simply using Player Data or Statistic to manage a flag KVP will do the job, otherwise, hosting an external server can be a better idea.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.