question

drewdough avatar image
drewdough asked

Send message from server to client?

Hi,

Does PlayFab have the ability to send an arbitrary message from the server to any client that's connected?

Does PlayFab keep open a persistent connection?

I remember some time back, someone on the forum said PlayFab would add messaging. Did that ever get added?

If not, how can I send a message to a connected client from the server?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered
  • Does PlayFab have the ability to send an arbitrary message from the server to any client that's connected?

Yes, you can send messages to clients via Push notification. We provide some step-by-step Push notification setup tutorials for different platforms on our website. For example, please see Push Notifications for iOS and Getting Started with Android Studio and Push Notifications. You are free to search for related tutorials on both Documentation website and Blog website.

• Does PlayFab keep open a persistent connection?

After a player login successfully, a session ticket will be generated and will last 24 hours. As long as the player keeps the ticket, he can access PlayFab Service. For the persistent connection, we have a private preview feature named "Pubsub" which is not released yet. Please keep track of the Roadmap article update on our website.

2 comments
    10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drewdough avatar image drewdough commented ·

Thanks for answering.

Sorry I wasn't more clear - Push Notifications isn't what I'm looking for, as I need to be able to send messages to clients that are connected to PC, Mac, and Consoles.

The PubSub feature looks to be exactly what I need. Can I assume this will work on all platforms and supported on the Unity SDK?

I looked for a roadmap, but all I could find was "This feature has been postponed until later in Q4.". We are in Q1 of 2019 now, is there any update?

If you guys start offering 2 way connectivity, you will have a major edge over the competition. I have done thourough research on all the cloud providers, and GameSparks was my choice 2 years ago, with their main differentiator being support on consoles & 2 way connections. It looks like you guys have added support for consoles, so if you add 2 way connections, I think I would be willing to build a proof of concept of switching my game over to you guys.

Great work and thank you for the responses.

Drew

0 Likes 0 ·
    brendan avatar image brendan drewdough commented ·

We'll be publishing a new roadmap blog post soon - it'll have more info on where we are with the PubSub feature.

0 Likes 0 ·
    rumerofficial avatar image
    rumerofficial answered

Hey Brendan,

Any news on the PubSub feature?

as drewdough stated, This looks the be the main thing that stops me from moving in to PlayFab..

I am using GameSparks just because it has the "Messages" feature, and this feature works perfectly.

I have an "invite to game" mechanic where are getting a popup as soon as their friends are inviting them.. this will be not so comfortable to do with Push notifications. because what happens when a player is offline? he'll get a push notification? what if I don't want that? You seem to have everything better than GameSparks, Except this MAJOR feature. Please please please, let me know when you have it, I'm really looking to move to PlayFab! :)

1 comment
    10 |1200

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

It's still in Private Preview (we are waiting in queue for it as well) although I'd imagine a new blog post will be available in the next few weeks with some updates for Q3 2019.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.