question

bda2206@gmail.com avatar image
bda2206@gmail.com asked

Lobby server how to

Hi,

I have written my lobby server for development purposes in nodejs, which is running on an aws linux instance, its http calls based..

The lobby is quite simple, first player connects, a sharedgroup is created, filled with data to represent a new game. SharedID is returned, and the player can take turn 1 while waiting for the lobby server to join a second player to the sharedgroup.

Or you can start a game v a nominated player.. similar flow of logic.

It takes about 5 seconds for a game create/join.

As i get closer to launch, I feel I may need to do something that's a bit more scale-able or robust than that. I've looked at the custom game server doco but just not getting how to translate my code into that. I'm not using unity. (xamarin / vs17)

Can someone point me at a solution/strategy?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The built-in PlayFab server hosting provides a way to host executable files which run your server logic. It also only supports Windows 2K12 R2 servers. That said, we are about to introduce our Server Hosting v2 publicly (https://blog.playfab.com/blog/introducing-playfab-multiplayer-servers), which will add Linux support.

For your specific case, are you building to an actual exe? Five seconds is an awful lot of time in terms of CPU cycles, which makes it sound like you may be waiting on an interpreter to start and load the actual game server logic.

But yes, Unity is certainly not a requirement - you can build a custom game server executable using any .Net compatible language you like.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.