question

ntanda avatar image
ntanda asked

Legacy Data: Deprecated?

Hello,

We have some Live games up and running at the moment, and others in development, which are using the (now Legacy) Player Title Data and Player Publisher Data to store and share information between our titles.

How long will the Legacy Data be supported for? Should we worry about having to go back and update old games relying on these?

Is it safe to keep using the Legacy Data for new games, so they can still use the same cross promotion system the other games are using?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

I'm trying to find what part of the blog/guide/announcement/etc that says something will be removed or deprecated, because we didn't intend to say that, and I can't find where that's said or implied. Please copy-paste the specific bit of text that concerned you, to here, so I can correct it.

The pre-2018 API methods and data-storage mechanisms will remain public and usable for a good long while. Our deprecation strategy is effectively "remove it from the documentation", but otherwise API methods, fields, etc, remain working "effectively forever".

We used to have a doc that described this, but I can't find that either right now...
Well, we have this note at the top of release notes:
Unless otherwise noted, no change will ever affect an existing title. Upgrade warnings are notes about less-than-trivial changes to the sdk which may cause minor compiler errors if you change/upgrade your PlayFab SDK version.

At any rate, our promise is that APIs should never stop working for existing titles. We say that on the site SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it right this second. Section 10 of our TOS covers the basic gist... but it's more aggressive than we expect to ever do.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ntanda avatar image ntanda commented ·

Thanks for the replies, that's me reassured!

@PaulGilmore I was concerned as soon as I saw the User Title Data and User Publisher Data being renamed "Legacy", as from past experiences, it usually mean "move away from this, it will be removed in 3 months" (iOS, FB, etc.).

We just finished our cross-titles back end, planned to be used for future titles also, so I wanted to make sure we didn't corner ourselves by using something marked as Legacy!

0 Likes 0 ·
1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

What will happen EVENTUALLY, and probably not for at least 6+ months, we may start deprecating the Player/User/Character/SharedGroup API methods, in favor of Entities, once Entities fully support the features of the earlier mechanisms (they don't yet).

Deprecation involves like I said, hiding the documentation, and removing it from the latest published SDKs.

New titles and titles that are under development, should stop using deprecated API methods when they're declared so, because they will be removed from new SDKs. But the API server will still provide that functionality to existing and legacy titles.

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

The short answer is effectively forever, we remove a feature that is in a game that's shipped when there's a critical security issues but normally those will stay as is. Please note; In PlayFab’s engineering guide is that, everything is backwards compatible and we do everything we can to never break a game, no matter what. Even if you deleted all of your data, legacy titles can use “deprecated“ API features as well.

10 |1200

bhester avatar image
bhester answered

I think ntanda was referring to the Player Data info:

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.