question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

"Ghost" servers being created

I notice in our Archived Games, we often have a bunch of "ghost" games which are games with nobody connected to them, and that don't have any logs, and they terminate within 30 seconds usually, sometimes within 3 seconds or so.

I make pretty extensive logs, and I flush them every few seconds, so the only thing I can think of is that these servers never actually finish booting up.

Any ideas why this would happen? It seems to only happen when games are being created every 5 seconds or so.

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Those actually aren't server hosts - those are server instances. A game server host can have up to the max game instances you specify in the configuration running on it. If you have that set to 1, then yes, there would be a 1-to-1 correlation - I just wanted to make sure this was clear.

When you turn on a region for a particular custom game server build, we start as many server hosts as are needed to have your min free instance slots available, given the max instances that can run on a host. Only once they are at the Running state do we then try to create game instances on them. So what you see in the archived games list is instances that were started on machines that were already completely booted, imaged, and ready to run your executable.

So, for a game server instance to terminate (and so wind up in the archived games list), either the executable has to exit, or the server instance would have to be terminated in the game manager. It's possible that an EC2 server could crash without that being related to your build, but that should be extremely rare (usually based on a hardware issue).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.