question

Marcel Ernst avatar image
Marcel Ernst asked

Epic Games migration causes duplicate accounts

Hi,

Epic Games recently discovered a bug with Epic Account Services tokens issued through the v2 API, that incorrectly specified the v1 endpoint as the issuer (“iss“ claim in the JSON Web Token (JWT)). In order to correct this, they hat to implement a backwards incompatible change to change the issuer to point to the correct v2 endpoint. This change was rolled out on February 1, 2024.

This change seems to cause PlayFab to create new accounts for every player logging in through Epic Games via OpenID Connect. Changing the issuer to the v2 endpoint causes the following error:

Issuer validation failed. Issuer: 'https://api.epicgames.dev/epic/oauth/v1'. Did not match: validationParameters.ValidIssuer: 'https://api.epicgames.dev/epic/oauth/v2' or validationParameters.

Is there anything we can without losing all existing player accounts?

Best regards, Marcel

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

As I understand, EPIC changed the issuer url which causes player creating new PlayFab accounts when logging in. And when you try to update the issuer url ,you received the mismatch error. We will report this issue to our team, and if there are any updates, we will let you know. In addition, could you provide us with your title id?

9 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Marcel Ernst avatar image Marcel Ernst commented ·

Yes that's correct, even adding the new issuer url as an override causes new accounts to be created. The title ID is C328F.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neils Shi avatar image Neils Shi Marcel Ernst commented ·

In my tests, I was getting tokens with v1 issuer. Since I am not quite familiar with Epic v2 API, could you tell me which API you used to obtain the epic account services tokens (v2 issuer) so that I can do some research?

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcel Ernst avatar image Marcel Ernst Neils Shi commented ·

I'm using EOS_Auth_CopyIdToken from the SDK, see the Auth Interface Documentation for more info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.