question

brentpeckham avatar image
brentpeckham asked

Cloudscript and Dedicated Servers Together?

Hello, I'm starting to integrate more multiplayer functionality into my game using playfab and had a question about effectively using CloudScript and Dedicated Servers.

I've essentially got a turn-based card battle game that is part multiplayer matches, part single player rpg. You have matches and a single-player quest, but that quest has rewards that can affect PvP multiplayer (e.g. cards won in single player campaign can be used in multiplayer). So there's a strong reason to prevent cheating in the campaign. After reading through the documentation for PlayFab, I'm left of the opinion that perhaps cloudscript could be a strong option for tracking and validating single player progress to reduce likelihood of cheating, but then I'd want to use multiplayer servers for the multiplayer matches.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use cloudscript for tracking the single player progress and instead create multiplayer server but do a single-player campaign game mode?

CloudScriptmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Since the CloudScript is a serverless service. Typically, if you own a server, then you don't need to use the CloudScript. In your case, you've decided that using the dedicated server for multiplayer matches, then you can also use dedicated server to do a single-player campaign game mode. Or you can use the CloudScript instead of the dedicated server for the single-player quest, the CloudScript can be also used to stop players from cheating, you may decide to use which one based on your situation.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.