question

Dale Strickler avatar image
Dale Strickler asked

Am I correct that changing a game name has no impact on the game code?

We are getting close to publishing and we want to change the game name in the dashboard. But we will live with a less than ideal name if it is going to impact the operation of the game in any way. From what I can tell renaming a game will not impact the operation of the code or the PlayFab service since titles are always referenced by ID not by name. Is that ture?

Title Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The game's name is used as part of creating an ARN for Push Notifications, so you may have to re-register for Push. It's also used as part of the way we track available custom game servers, so I would recommend making sure that any of those are stopped before changing the name, to make sure there's no confusion in the matchmaker (which would only be brief, since once the older servers cycle out, that would be a non-issue). So no, there's no real risk associated with it - and we highly recommend having an accurate name on your title, for tracking purposes.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler commented ·

Super. We are not live yet and we don't use matchkakers. Now if can just find the name change GUI... ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Dale Strickler commented ·

From the dashboard (click on the PlayFab logo in the upper left corner), click on Rename on the tile for your game - that'll take you to the settings page for your game, were you can rename it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler commented ·

Yep found it. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.