Idea

brendan avatar image
brendan suggested

When Player's Display name is same , How to solve this problem.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

2 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Abo3reb
started a topic on Sun, 19 April 2015 at 8:16 PM

Hello

Now I am integrating Playfab to my game project.

But this have important problem.

Say that two player have same Display name.

So the second player cannot register to playfab.

I think PlayerID must difference but Display name may be same.

I want to know your opinion.

Thank.s

7 Comments
zacb said on Mon, 20 April 2015 at 10:27 AM

Hey Abo3reb,

As it stands today, our system has:

• PlayFab ID: this is a unique id generated and managed by our backend, and used in multiple API calls

• Username: this is a 3-20 character string that a user can use to authenticate with LogInWithPlayFab.

• IF your title is using our Publisher ID feature , Usernames will need to be unique within the subset of titles under that publisher.

• IF your title is not using a Publisher ID, Usernames will need to be unique within the global (all non-publisher) PlayFab title set.

• DisplayName: this is a 3-25 character string that is unique only to the current title. This string can be changed and updated by the client as many times as needed.

Currently, we do not allow duplicate UserNames or DisplayNames within a title.

-Zac

mgesner said on Mon, 29 June 2015 at 11:56 AM

Is Display Name still unique per title? if so, can we add it to the feature request list?

Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 29 June 2015 at 1:03 PM

Yes, Title Display Name is unique per title. Also, it's worth noting that all Studios are created with Publisher IDs now (visible on your Title's Settings->Credentials tab), so the "no Publisher ID" case stated above should no longer occur. For titles defined in our system further back, please let us know if you're not seeing a Publisher ID and we'll add one.

For the feature request list, are you asking to have the Title Display Name be non-unique? Since the existing system requires that they be unique, we cannot introduce what is potentially a breaking change to existing titles, but we can add a backlog item to either make this optionally unique per title, or else add a new identifier. Could you describe your usage cases so that we have a clear picture of your needs? How are players identified in your game? Where would the Username be used, and where would the Title Display Name be used?

Brendan

mgesner said on Mon, 29 June 2015 at 2:28 PM

Brendan,

The issue at hand for me, is that I am making a casual game where players self identify how they want their friends to see their name.

Stereotypically in casual games with facebook linking, the display name is your first name and first character of your last name. I expect this to be fairly common.

In the event that I wanted a unique name, I'd enforce using username for my title, where I would expect display name to be something that did NOT have to be unique (especially now that you allow us to set our own publisher IDs).

In my particular game, I am allowing a user to authenticate in whatever way they can (prioritizing device id and facebook right now). My goal would be to suggest a display name if I have meta data (gamecenter, existing playfab account, or facebook info), otherwise, they select one.

The obvious workaround is to set this as playerdata, but I would prefer to make use of the functions you already provide.

Brendan Vanous said on Sun, 09 August 2015 at 2:42 PM

My apologies for the lack of response - it appears in the hand-off between folks, this post got lost. If you ever don't see a response from us on an issue within a couple of days, please do email us at devrel@playfab.com to let us know, as we normally respond within a day or two.

Thanks for the added info - we've added a backlog item for a non-unique "name" identifier for games, since that's the core of your request. In the meantime, I would recommend using User Data as you suggest, since Username must be unique across all titles in your Studio and Title Display Name must be unique within each title.

dragongamestudio said on Wed, 23 September 2015 at 4:13 PM

i am agree with that,
for example if player registered with facebook,
then we should use the facebook name to be the display name in playfab,
and there will probably same display name in facebook,
i have try it before two of my facebook account with same display name, and its alowed
and maybe for getuserinfo API should give us the name that shown in the player tab in playfab dashboard,
so when player registered with facebook, we dont need to set up the display name anymore

Brendan Vanous said on Wed, 23 September 2015 at 4:50 PM

I'm moving this to Feature Requests, since that's really the crux of the issue - that this is a request to add another type of Name identifier in PlayFab which is non-unique. In order to maintain compatibility with older titles, this would be a new field which is returned in addition to the others in user info/account info queries.

Brendan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

We now provide you with the ability to make Title Display Names non-unique in your titles. Simply go to your title's Settings->API Features tab and select the "Allow non-unique player display names" option. Please be aware that this change is one-way. You will not be able to change a title from allowing non-unique display names back to requiring unique display names.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas