question

Sean Murphy avatar image
Sean Murphy asked

Is a custom URL required for resetting players passwords, or can the default playfab user password reset be used?

I'm really just trying to determine whether or not I have to host a new web page for this, or I can just use the default one that playfab generates when you click reset password in the players-> overview -> master player account -> Send password reset email

Additionally, is there an ability to add a callback method on the link for the password recovery email?
It mentions they have api call attached to the clickable link with the $ConfirmationUrl$'. Would it be possible to send a call back to the app to allow them to reset their password in the app?

Thanks

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

If you want to use email templates to send an account recovery email, you have to specify the Callback URL which is a custom website like the default password reset web page, then you can call PlayFab Admin API ResetPassword with the password and token to reset the password. For more information, you can refer to: Using Email Templates to Send an Account Recovery Email - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs. In addition, "The $ConfirmationUrl$ in the email body generates a customized URL that, when selected, tracks that a user has chosen the URL, and then issues a redirect to the Callback URL.". Since the customized URL contains a token we generate which cannot be accessed in any other way except click the URL. So, you cannot reset the player's password in your app.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sean Murphy avatar image Sean Murphy commented ·

Hi Sorry, this doesn't answer my initial question. I have read that documentation very carefully and i'm still unsure of the initial question.

Can i use the playfab reset password default page or do i have to use a hosted web page on my own domain to reset the password.

I understand now the $ConfirmationUrl$ only generates the token and can't be used in any other context.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sean Murphy avatar image Sean Murphy commented ·

I found the answer here The answer

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha Sean Murphy commented ·

Sorry I didn't explain clearly. And the answer you mentioned is correct.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sean Murphy avatar image Sean Murphy Xiao Zha commented ·

Is it a commonly requested feature to have a callback to the app for when players click the link in the password recovery email?

In my mind, it would be a much simpler approach to have the player simply reset their password in the application rather than having them go to a dedicated website. Especially for the regions where there may be a blocking firewall to extenral websites.

Is that a possibility to be put up for voting?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.