question

walterostlie avatar image
walterostlie asked

2FA Secret too short

My profile's 2FA secret key is too short for Google Authenticator.

I was trying to setup 2FA on my account and choose to enter the secret key manually instead of scanning the QR code. When I entered the key into Google Authenticator I received an error that stated the key was too short. Anyone else have this problem? I had previously scanned the QR code to enable 2FA, but I wanted to redo it so I could make a backup of the security key unless I had to restore my phone. I tried twice and both codes were too short. Thanks.

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

I can reproduce this issue, but I don’t know why Google Authenticator doesn't recognize this Secret Key, you may need to consult google for professional support. I recommend that you use Microsoft Authenticator to set up the 2FA. In my test, it can be set up by both QR code and secret key. Or you can store the QR code as a backup.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.