question

connorhallman29 avatar image
connorhallman29 asked

Why is a username required when players already use a Display Name?

I have my players initially login with a unique device ID. But later I want to give them the opportunity to link their account to a email and password for recovery. The Add Username Password request is almost perfect for that, except that it requires a username. Why does it require a username? Is this username supposed to be separate from the players Display Name. I don't want my player base to be confused between their username and display name when they link their account to an email. Should I just put the players Display Name in that spot?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

Username can be used for a player to log in PlayFab using a username and password(LoginWithPlayFab). Please note that once an account has a username, it cannot be changed anymore. And it can be cross-title under the same studio. While the Display Name can be changed many times, and it can be different for different titles. A player should never expose their username as it is for login authentication. Meanwhile, Display Name is like a nickname for other players.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.