question

David A Kimball JR avatar image
David A Kimball JR asked

Global state implementations for group notifications when a player is not online?

(Scenario)

Player A builds a house on Server 1

Player A leaves Sever 1 and joins Server 2

Player B joins Server 1 and looks at Player A's house which says "Owned by Player A"

Player A creates a group, and calls it "PlayFabRocks"

Player B sees the house details show "Owned by PlayFabRocks" instead.

The transition occurred while player B was not on Server 1, how does server 1 get a Notify of group changes (which I dont imagine scaling for thousands of servers with any sort of TPS)

Is PlayFab an effective solution for this scenario?

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ commented ·

Where do you store the data of Player A's house? Are you using Player data, UGC or something else? Server 1 won't get a Notify, you will need to call some APIs to change this data.

0 Likes 0 ·
David A Kimball JR avatar image David A Kimball JR JayZuo ♦ commented ·

currently we just serialize to disk with the game save system (or plan to) with potentially a background process to backup to cloud. I was hoping via service telemetry or a subscribed notify event could be used to signal the change but this tells me a server would need to have the scope of the entire group system locally.

our goal here is to reduce the dependancy on a state warehouse of any kind until we absolutely have to.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang David A Kimball JR commented ·

Thanks for your clarification, we will research for it.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

Currently, PlayFab does not support real-time notifications as you want. But we do have a plan to support this feature in the future. Please keep an eye on PlayFab Roadmap.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.