question

Akarsh jain avatar image
Akarsh jain asked

If we have playfab as an option then why to use mirror? (In unity),hello i am new at this networking and all stuff

I am new at networking and right now facing issue

if playfab supports servers then why we need to use mlapi (mirror).

please ans with all details. help needed at discord(https://discord.gg/DJgKZ2AQ)

i am working on project which is based on a board game something exactly like ludo

where i need dedicated server 24/7, friend options, purchasing options, multiple server and much more.

Then what should i use and what should i do?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

The purposes are different. PlayFab Multiplayer 2.0 provides a matchmaking system and multiplayer servers. Matchmaking can enable the auto-allocation option, which will allocate a server instance for matched players. Meanwhile, we don’t provide (or restrict) any connection methods for players to connect to that instance. Hence, you are able to define any methods on your own. In one of official samples, server build defines an HTTP listener so that player are able to send HTTP requests to communicate with the server instance. You also mention about Mirror, which is used in our Unity Mirror sample. As Mirror is a high level Networking API, it is easy to use for multiplayer connection. In addition, you can see in the source code of official sample, it is using Telepathy for low level networking transports to manage TCP connections. You may review the full list of Mirror supported transports at Transports – Mirror Networking. Basically the server build has no limit. As long as GSDK is implemented, you are able to use any modules or libraries you want. Mirror, along with Telepathy is aimed at reducing development and maintenance difficulty.

Please also note that PlayFab Multiplayer Server 2.0 is designed for session-based game, like DOTA2, PUBG. Using PlayFab for hosting a 24/7 running MMO Game is not recommended.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.