question

Taran Saini avatar image
Taran Saini asked

Categorise or group custom events for comparison

We currently have a map voting system within our game where players, once joined to a match room can vote on which map they want to play before the game starts (the map with the most vote will then be loaded for that game).

We wanted to track map voting so that we could analysis which maps are most popular and therefore we're thinking of calling a custom PlayFab event each time a player casts their vote. Ideally, we would call a separate event for each map.

I noticed in the GameManager that we could filter event data through the explorer and even display data through charts. We wanted to know if we could compare our custom events for map votes by grouping/categorising/filtering them and comparing which events get called more then others (which would indicate which maps are most popular).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab Azure Explorer supports Kusto query language (KQL), which will meet your requirement. However, I don’t think calling separate events (name) for each choice is necessary. Instead, I will suggest writing custom events with the same Event Name, but with different Event Data. For example, if you are using WriteEvents API and you are using a title-level entity token on the server instance to call, you may add any additional data in the Payload property of the request. I will be more convenient for you to retrieve, filter and analyze events in Explorer because the map names can be varied and it is not easy to “list” all with KQL.

You may click the “What’s this?” button on the right top corner of Explorer page of Game Manager to try the sample query. While, You can also find more helpful documentation on: Getting started with Kusto | Microsoft Docs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.