question

Elia Chiarucci avatar image
Elia Chiarucci asked

Help with multiplayer server architecture

Hi,

I'm building a game in Unity and I'm looking for a simple solution to make it multiplayer.

The game is a team-based, server-authoritative, Third-Person-Shooter 5v5 or 10v10, with lobby and matchmaking with an average match length of 30-min.

The idea, at a high level, would be to use Playfab to work as a "master server" for the lobby (using Party, Chat, Matchmaking, Player data etc.) where players can customize their avatar, invite friends, chat, view stats, and unlock items with in-game currency.

When players start the matchmaking and opponents are found, a new Unity server instance is created running Photon Bolt or Forge Networking. (so 1 server per match / 10-20 players per server).

At the end of the game, scores are calculated and updated to the players' profiles.

Can it work as I imagine it?

Hi,

I'm building a game in Unity and I'm looking for a simple solution to make it multiplayer.

The game is a team-based, server-authoritative, Third-Person-Shooter 5v5 or 10v10, with lobby and matchmaking with an average match length of 30-min.

The idea, at a high level, would be to use Playfab to work as a "master server" for the lobby (using Party, Chat, Matchmaking, Player data etc.) where players can customize their avatar, invite friends, chat, view stats, and unlock items with in-game currency.

When players start the matchmaking and opponents are found, a new Unity server instance is created running Photon Bolt or Forge Networking. (so 1 server per match / 10-20 players per server).

At the end of the game, scores are calculated and updated to the players' profiles.

Can it work as I imagine it?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We have companies using Party for Lobby servers w/chat, and our v2 server hosting for the gameplay sessions (and using Party still for chat, since it gets them the CVAA coverage with our transcription). If you believe Photon Bolt or Forge Networking will provide you with the server authoritative logic you need to keep your game secure, then I don't see any real issues. We have a built-in friends list system as well as integration with those of Facebook, Steam, and Xbox Live, and a complete commerce service.

For some of what you want to do (inviting users, in particular), I'd recommend looking at using our messaging client sample (https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFab-Samples/tree/master/Samples/CSharp/MessagingClient), so that you don't have to poll for invitations (driving up your meter usage).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.