question

nickkov89 avatar image
nickkov89 asked

Dev workflow with playfab?,Best dev workflow?

As a developer, I like to have separate environments. For instance, if I'm coding something locally (before pushing to prod or dev) I want to be able to use my own text editor, change some code, and see the result locally. I'm new to playfab and am wondering what are some ways to imitate this workflow? I want to use cloudscript (which seems perfect), but I don't see a way to use it without constantly copy and pasting the code I write into the website and clicking "upload new revision". Is there a way to muck around with the server logic locally? Do I need to host a playfab server locally to do this? Thanks!

So as a developer,

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

nickkov89 avatar image nickkov89 commented ·

Wish I could edit this, as it seems a lot of the formatting got messed up for some reason (including the title which was supposed to say "Dev workflow with playfab?"

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, I'd say that the best approach is to use multiple Title IDs, so that you have separate dev, test, and live "environments". We'll provide a way to "push" a title's configuration between Title IDs in our tools in an upcoming sprint, but if you've automated most of the configuration in your build using the Admin API, it's usually as simple as changing the Title ID in your build settings.

For Cloud Script, the development workflow I would recommend would be to turn on our GitHub integration, so that you can manage your Cloud Script via a Git repo. There's "Use GitHub" button on the Cloud Script page you can use to start the setup of that.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

vizionzevo avatar image vizionzevo commented ·

Is there any update on migrating/merging title configurations between titles as mentioned above?

We are also looking into spinning up PreProd, QA and several Dev environments for feature development.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan vizionzevo commented ·

We will be providing a method to copy a title configuration between titles in a future update (possibly as soon as this summer). For now, I'd recommend using the CLI tool:

https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabCLI

0 Likes 0 ·
Toni Palm avatar image
Toni Palm answered

Any news on a proper tool? The current CLI tool is not able to copy the full configurations if there are complex dependencies between drop tables and bundles.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.