question

jsoto avatar image
jsoto asked

Am I force to use photon service?

I've read a lot about async games and I know Playfab can store the needed data for my game, in a just simple turn-based game and basically managed as any other basic turn-based game. I'm actually a huge newby on Playfab system and the thing is this: I seen that the best practice in this type of game is using the CloudScripts, but my real question is this, do I HAVE TO use Photon service to manage the creation of rooms or so? Is there a way to handle this kind of things without Photon?

I was reading this link on the API https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Matchmaker#Matchmaking%20APIs

For example the StartGame function? what does it exactly does? I'm using Unity3D to make my game so if I create a room with this function do I have to keep the connection between scenes? (because when I change from one scene to another my gameobjects are destroyed) or does this function only create a state on the dashboard, if this has nothing to do with it, then how do I create a game so both players can communicate or play the game?

I hope I was clear enough it is a little hard to explain my whole point in just one post but the idea is that I want to avoid Photon as much as I can ( unless is needed to ). Thank you in advance!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

For fully asynchronous games, we'll have an asynchronous matchmaker available in the future. For right now, if you need to have matchmaking as part of the solution and the game is asynchronous to such an extent that you cannot guarantee that a player who starts a game will be matched to another player quickly (in which case you could use Photon for the matchmaking, as well), I would have to recommend using a process like the one from this thread, so that you can make sure to track on the sessions effectively:
https://community.playfab.com/hc/communities/public/questions/207129407-Persistent-turn-based-games-

That solution does indeed use Photon, as it provides an effective way to "lock" the game session to the players in question, so that you don't have collision issues with people trying to claim the same open game at the same time.

The Matchmaker API set is specifically to allow developers who want to create their own matchmaking service to connect it to the PlayFab Game Wrangler, which is the tech we run to host custom game servers for titles. So, if you've got your own custom game server executable, we can host it for you in our scalable backend, and if you also want to have your own custom matchmaking logic, that API lets you connect it to our service to control that aspect as well.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.