question

Rich Joslin avatar image
Rich Joslin asked

Real Money prices counted as Virtual Currency in catalog result

When I do a GetCatalogItems (with the Unity SDK), in my result, the items that are set up to have a Real Money price have the RM value show up in the VirtualCurrencyPrices node and not the RealCurrencyPrices node.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That's correct. This is an artifact of how everything was set up originally in our system, with the "RealCurrencyPrices" being used to specify overrides for prices in foreign currencies. This does make it a bit confusing, but we've documented it in all the pages and posts concerning the catalog to try to help with this.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rich Joslin avatar image
Rich Joslin answered

Oh, I see that explanation now in the docs for GetStoreItems, but not in GetCatalogItems, which is what I'm using. Is it a better practice to define a Store and use GetStoreItems than to call GetCatalogItems from the client?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Ah, I see that. We'll get the docs updated for that. Stores were added to provide a simple way for titles to manage sets of goods they want to display to specific groups of players or during events, so that you can have sales and the like. You can use either - we have titles doing each.

10 |1200

Rich Joslin avatar image
Rich Joslin answered

I now realize that I do want to use a Store in order to mask certain items from the user. There are catalog items I want only to bundle/award and not sell, and I don't want a user to be able to see everything in the catalog (not to mention conserve a little bandwidth).

10 |1200

Rich Joslin avatar image
Rich Joslin answered

Nevermind my last realization. Doesn't look like I can filter catalog products from the client that way since GetStoreItems doesn't include all the product info like Display Name, etc. And I don't see a way to access Store data via Cloud Script. So my next plan of attack is a Cloud Script that runs GetCatalogItems and filters them by certain hardcoded criteria (in my case, Item Class). This is perfectly acceptable in my current case, just thinking out loud here.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sounds good, Rich - let us know if you run into issues with this approach. One other thing you could use for the sorting would be the item tags. We have a long-term plan to use those for filtering in the Game Manager and future API methods.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.