question

Lukasz Balu avatar image
Lukasz Balu asked

Webhook event compatibility

Hello,

I am working on a project that requires me to monitor playstream events on the server side and pass them to our own notification system. I have been trying to use Webhooks for this purpose, but I have encountered some difficulties and confusion.

I would like to know how to filter the events that are compatible with Webhooks. In the webhook edit form, there is a list of events in the filter dropdown, but I am not sure if they are all supported or not. I have seen some forum posts from previous years that suggest that some events are not expected to work with Webhooks because they use a different schema version (v2) or because they are Entity PlayStream Events. Is there a way to verify which events are supported and which are not? Does the filter dropdown automatically exclude the unsupported events or does it show everything regardless of compatibility? Should I look for "SchemaVersion" or "Entity_Type" fields? Are custom events all incompatible?

Secondly, I would like to know if Webhooks are still the recommended way to monitor playstream events on the server side. I have noticed that there are other options such as Rules, but I am not sure how they compare to Webhooks in terms of functionality. Can Rules also pass event data to our own notification system? Are they more up-to-date and better documented than Webhooks?

I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I could not find clear and consistent information in the documentation or the community forums.

webhooks
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Neils Shi avatar image Neils Shi commented ·

I will do some research.

1 Like 1 ·

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

I have seen some forum posts from previous years that suggest that some events are not expected to work with Webhooks because they use a different schema version (v2) or because they are Entity PlayStream Events.

As you said, webhook doesn't support V2 events. And our document mentioned that “Entity PlayStream Events do not currently support forwarding with Webhooks.”

Does the filter dropdown automatically exclude the unsupported events or does it show everything regardless of compatibility?

Currently, the filter drop-down list contains the unsupported events, you can ignore them.

Should I look for "SchemaVersion" or "Entity_Type" fields? Are custom events all incompatible?

You can use API WritePlayerEvent to create custom player event, and the Webhooks support it. You can check the "SchemaVersion"from the event data to judge whether the event is a V2 event.

Secondly, I would like to know if Webhooks are still the recommended way to monitor playstream events on the server side. I have noticed that there are other options such as Rules, but I am not sure how they compare to Webhooks in terms of functionality. Can Rules also pass event data to our own notification system?

Webhooks and Rules are all based on the PlayStream system, and Rules support more events than webhooks (like group events). You can also use Rules to pass event data to your own notification system via Cloud Script. You can choose either feature according to your needs.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lukasz Balu avatar image Lukasz Balu commented ·

Unfortunately it seems that all of the custom events are set up as v2 so webhooks are not compatible. I will look into rules + Cloudscript Azure Functions then to process v2 events along with the event data. Are there any limits on number of rules per title (I couldn't find any info in title limits page and documentation page).

0 Likes 0 ·
Lukasz Balu avatar image Lukasz Balu Lukasz Balu commented ·

I assume rules also do not work with events written with "PlayFabEventsInstanceAPI.WriteTelemetryEvents", even though they are listed in dropdown event list in the rule edit form?

0 Likes 0 ·
Lukasz Balu avatar image Lukasz Balu Lukasz Balu commented ·

I meant PlayFabEventsInstanceAPI.WriteEvents of course (Telemetry skips playstream queue). I don't see an edit button on my previous comment; sorry for the spam.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.