question

igor avatar image
igor asked

Unity3D Editor Extensions NullReferenceException on install, can't start

I installed the latest PlayFab SDK and Editor Extensions for Unity from: https://api.playfab.com/sdks/unity

On install, I get a NullReferenceException (I'll paste the full text below). No config wizard pops up. Likewise, every time I go to Window->PlayFab->Editor Extensions, I get the same error.

This is quite frustrating as I'm evaluating a BaaS for our upcoming game, and I really don't want to use GameSparks. It's just that it's hard to evaluate anything if I can't make it past the configuration.

Any help? I did search the forums, but nothing quite fit this issue. Using Unity 5.6.0f3 and editor extensions (and SDK) 2.20.170411. The full trace of the error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorHelper..cctor () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Utils/PlayFabEditorHelper.cs:70) Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorHelper PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorSDKTools.GetPlayFabSettings () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Panels/PlayFabEditorSDKTools.cs:238) PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorDataService+PlayFab_SharedSettingsProxy..ctor () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Utils/PlayFabEditorDataService.cs:79) PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorDataService..cctor () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Utils/PlayFabEditorDataService.cs:146) Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorDataService PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorDataMenu.RegisterMenu () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Panels/PlayFabEditorDataMenu.cs:97) PlayFab.PfEditor.PlayFabEditorDataMenu..cctor () (at Assets/PlayFabEditorExtensions/Editor/Scripts/Panels/PlayFabEditorDataMenu.cs:78)

sdks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

I have seen a similar error, and we have some theories about it.

Here's a set of possible instructions to solve the issue:

• In the upper right corner, find a "Layout" button
  • It expands with some options including "Revert Factory Settings"
  • This resets all panel positions back to Unity default
  • Restart Unity
  • Reopen the PlayFab EdEx window from dropdowns:
  • Dropdown -> Window -> PlayFab -> Editor Extensions

These steps are how we have solved a similar issue. Please let us know if this resolves the problem for you.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

igor avatar image igor commented ·

This worked, somehow. I didn't revert to factory settings because it took me forever to get it all just right, but I did close all non-essential tabs (I had Services, Collab History and Navigation open). Now I can call up the Playfab configuration wizard without glitches. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.