question

golubevmail@gmail.com avatar image
golubevmail@gmail.com asked

How to get another player's account Steam ID?

Hello, it seems that i can't get SteamInfo from another player's account with GetAccountInfoRequest. Is there any other way to do that? Thanks.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Okay, we finally had a chance to review, and we've updated to provide the Steam ID (if one exists) in the account info returned.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Hi Brendan, I'm running into the exact same issue as the OP.

I'm calling PlayFabClientAPI.GetAccountInfo and it returns the populated SteamInfo if called on the currently logged in player, but SteamInfo is null if it is called on another player.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Ah, sorry - should have clarified that in response to the original post. Account specifics are only returned on the Client API query if you are the player in question (to prevent potential violation of those services' policies). The Server API query gets all that data, so you can retrieve this via Cloud Script (and decide there which pieces may be returned to the player).

1 Like 1 ·
colinchiu avatar image colinchiu commented ·

So is this still an issue. Do we have to go through the server API to get hold of this data?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan colinchiu commented ·

Correct - as stated above, the Client API only returns information considered private if you are asking for information for a player other than yourself.

1 Like 1 ·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Correct - the current behavior is that the Steam ID is not returned for other players. I've opened a work item with the engineering team to review the player data and revise what we return based upon whether the data is considered PII. We'll update here when this is complete.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.