question

glen avatar image
glen asked

Experiencing issues with Title Data

I've been experiencing issues with Title Data over the past 24 hours. Specifically with an error occurring when trying to load using server.GetTitleData(). It is an inconsistent error, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday when trying understand what was happening I tried to look at the Title Data section in the Game Manager and received some kind of error pop up (sorry I don't remember what it was). And then the layout of Title Data was different than I'm used to and the data I had input was gone. Later I went back to view it again and it was back to normal with my data back.

Any idea what's causing this?

Title Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I'm not seeing any errors when I save or query Title Data in my test title at the moment. A few questions:

What Title ID is this for?

What is the Title ID Key you're querying?

What is the error you get when you call Server.GetTitleData()?

The Title Data layout in the Game Mananger hasn't changed in a long time, though it does have both a normal and a "tall display" mode, as well as a JSON editor pop-up. What exactly were you expecting, versus what did you see?

Are there any specific repro steps you can provide that produce any of the issues you're describing?

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

glen avatar image glen commented ·

It's not easy to reproduce simply because it seemingly happens at random. I honestly don't know why it occurs, the worst thing to hear I know :(. I haven't encountered it for the past few hours though.

Title ID: 14BF

Key: sChampsData

Error: Key Not Found (I think, having a hard time recalling exactly)

I switched to the Tall Display mode you mentioned and that is what I did see except there was no data. I was expecting to seeing the Short Display. It did revert back to the short display with the data later when I checked again.

I've implemented try catch methodology and other client side checks to avoid it locking up the game so if it does happen again at least the game will still function.

0 Likes 0 ·

Just happened again. I didn't manage to get the error output from the server but I did quickly go to the Game Manager's Title Data section and I received the same error there again and my data didn't show, here is the Game Manager error:

"Could not load title data. Please refresh the page and try again."

I'll input more robust error tracking so the next time it happens I can provide better detail

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm also seeing a databasethroughputexceeded error in my dashboard in relation to gettitledata. Am I exceeding some kind of limit?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan glen commented ·

It's possible that this could occur due to a title hitting Title Data with many requests per player in a short period - I'd really need to see the specifics of your test to know for sure. I will say that we did do a deployment of the service at around 11:30am PDT, which currently results in a couple of seconds of reduced throughput capacity (so, making this error more likely for those couple of seconds), but we're working out the details of a chance that will eliminate that issue now.

0 Likes 0 ·
glen avatar image glen glen commented ·

I don't think our issue would be from many requests per player because it's only being called once on app launch as part of the loading process. Unless that throughput capacity accounts for more than just Title Data. We load a few things on app launch but try to consolidate as much of that as possible. But still, it's the launching of the app which requires a heavier server query/loading sequence, I think this is probably standard for most apps.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan glen commented ·

Unless you're making a bunch of calls back-to-back (or all at once), I can't see that being an issue. Granted, when it comes to service-side data, you'll always need to deal with error conditions, since there are a number of things that could prevent the client from getting the data, but apart from the deployment period (which was very brief), I'm not seeing anything that could be causing this. If you can reproduce this, can you send us the specifics of the calls you made, and the timestamp when you saw the issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.