question

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt asked

Real money purchases... what is supported here? Anyone have a doc regarding flow?

Trying to find the flow for RL money purchases to gold. How does this even work involving playfab?

Is pfab partnered with any companies, or we just use a complete 3rd party unrelated to playfab and call playfab once the payment is complete? 

Not even sure where to begin .. anyone have a link to a doc or something? I can't find where to start.

Thanks

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We'll have a tutorial available soon to help with this. In addition to receipt validation (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon IAP) methods we have and console entitlement checks (Playstation Network, Xbox Live), we also have purchasing available using the StartPurchase/PayForPurchase/ConfirmPurchase flow via Steam, PayPal, and soon Xsolla. To enable a payment provider in the StartPurchase flow (and so, get it listed in the results from a call to StartPurchase), you need to enable it in the Add-ons Marketplace for your title, and enter the information required by that provider.

The way all our payments systems work is that they're integrated with our catalog and store systems, so that you can make sure that items are only added to players' inventories after a server-authoritative check has been made to ensure that the purchase was successfully completed.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt answered

That sounds awesome! But if I'm not on Steam yet and only pc/max/Linux, which do you recommend? Seems that most Choices are mobile devices, if not in Steam yet. 

Any Stripe support? They are international and so friendly when it comes to api/sdk. And their payment UI looks friendly for customers, doesn't look sketchy at all. Star Citizen uses them too. 

Also when you say PayPal, does this include Braintree by PayPal? 

Also, any estimates when the docs will come? Not sure if that's a "next month"  soon or "next year"  soon ;) 

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We've talked about Stripe internally, but there hasn't been enough demand for it from developers to push it up our priority list. We've actually had more people ask for Xsolla, which is why it's on our Add-ons page as "Coming Soon" (later on this year). But I'm going to add your name to the Stripe backlog item, so that we have a record that you expressed interest.

For PayPal (which is what I was going to say would be the main recommendation if you're PC, but not Steam), we support their core service. Braintree, which was acquired by PayPal in 2013, is actually a distinct service with a separate integration path. That one's had only one other request for it, so it's pretty far down the stack right now.

For the StartPurchase doc, I'm currently working to make time to complete it, so I'm going to say next month, as a forcing function to make sure I get it done soon. :)

1 comment
10 |1200

subsoap avatar image subsoap commented ·

Stripe would be great + 1.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt answered

Never heard of Xsolla until now -- I asked them how easy it is to currently integrate with PlayFab, and the customer service agent in live chat told me to "look at the docs if you're an experienced programmer" -__- not necessarily the best first impression.

Also the Unity SDK has pretty nasty negative reviews, however, it's been updated since the last negative review and no news MAY be good news..https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35719 -- but with the average comments all the way down the page are 1-star "Misleading and non-functional" related reviews.

I saw their demo and it looked quite magical - I am willing to try them out, but I'm a bit skeptical from what I've seen, so far, from them.

It seems their overall support satisfaction and "trust" levels are extremely low (3.7/10):
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/secure.xsolla.com with some further nasty reviews.

Just a heads up ~ for myself too, since I'm diving in to check them out!

EDIT: Signed up via linkedin, nothing happened after clicking authorize. I tried to register and said email taken -- linkedin register must've worked somehow. I tried using my email to login "Oops! Method not allowed". Wha? Refresh page -- repeat -- nothing works. Can't register - can't login.

Gimped website..

EDIT 2: 2nd time with their live chat, and it's completely outsourced. Every response is very generic and irrelevant to anything I ask. Getting frustrated.

EDIT 3: Apparently when you sign up via linked in and click forgot password and try to sign in with a new password, it auto-blocks you. It says to contact support. Talk to support a 3rd time and they said "Sorry you should contact a guide in the game you are playing". Seriously? ..? 

So, about Stripe, you may want to seriously consider it :P Their flow is pretty straight-forward: Request a token, make a call to show UI (automatically generated by stripe), then they send everything in a combined longer token for validation, send back a true/false for success. If success, includes extra options like saving a hash for future use or the last few digits for display of saved cards, etc etc.

10 |1200

Dylan Hunt avatar image
Dylan Hunt answered

This reply deserves it's own post:

So still messing with Xsolla, I discovered that, finally, I cannot sell my game using their services unless I'm ALREADY on Steam. Where, in that case, I may as well use the Steamworks SDK:

https://i.imgur.com/KXrRD9U.png

I cannot move on without being on Steam, Xbox, Origin, PSN, Ubisoft's joke site, or DRM freeThey piggyback on other services rather than actually having their own service. How unfortunate :(

In other words, any indie dev that didn't pass Steam greenlight yet cannot use Xsolla,

and those that are, may as well just use Steam SDK unless it's Xbox or PSN. I can only see advantages if you're on consoles that are already approved by Xbox/PSN.

Finally, I discovered their payment system they use is PaymentWall, which sounds like a trademark, but it's actually a 3rd party payment service literally called PaymentWall, and they charge 25% per transaction on average. I'm wondering if they charge "5% + [paymentwall's fee]." Be careful.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

So, to be clear, we're not integrated with Xsolla yet, so I actually wouldn't have advised doing all the work you just did. Two key points to our Add-ons Marketplace are:

1. We pre-integrate everything we can, in order to minimize the amount of work you'll have to do, and

2. We negotiate with the other company to get you a rate at or below what you'd pay going to them on your own - preferably below.

My recommendation would be to use an existing integrated service, or if you're not shipping imminently, wait for the PlayFab integration.

4 comments
10 |1200

Ilse Mul avatar image Ilse Mul commented ·

@Brendan I know this is an old thread but I came here looking for something else originally. Thought I should mention that Xsolla has been removed from the Unity Asset store (since xsolla is a partner now in the add-ons). There is a plugin for Stripe in the Asset store.Especially now that Stripe accepts several European payment methods (including iDeal) I'd prefer to use Stripe.

Is Stripe being considered at this moment as a payment method add-on partner?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Ilse Mul commented ·

I track on the requests across our developer community, as part of making sure we can accurately assess the priorities for everything when we're doing our sprint planning. In the case of Stripe, we've had a few requests, but not really that many. I've added you to the backlog item for it, for tracking. I'm sure it's one that we'll add in the future (we actually use them, as well), but I don't have a date for that just yet.

1 Like 1 ·
Ilse Mul avatar image Ilse Mul brendan commented ·

Thank you, @Brendan! I hope it will be added in the near future :) Stripe could be an ideal solution for European developers :)

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.