question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Is there any database in PlayFab?

Cadrickloh
started a topic on Tue, 07 July 2015 at 1:15 AM

Hi, I'm new to PlayFab.

Currently my problem is I need a database to store all the level data, monster data, and etc where all the players can access it?

Level data is something like this level information: how many monsters in this level, how many items drop rate, and etc etc.

But after I read through PlayFab APIs, I don't find any database codes where I can store all these data on the server. How am I suppose to achieve what I'm trying to do?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best Answer
Brendan Vanous said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 12:12 AM

This is absolutely a part of our offering. For data which is to be shared across all users for your title, you can use Title Data (SetTitleData, GetTitleData) or the Tags and Custom Data for catalog items (https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Admin/datatype/DataModel/PlayFab.DataModel.CatalogItem?MarkOptionalProperties=True). We also have additional options with Shared Group Data and User Data, so if you could describe your need more specifically, I'm sure we can find a solution for you in our service.

Brendan

5 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 12:12 AM

This is absolutely a part of our offering. For data which is to be shared across all users for your title, you can use Title Data (SetTitleData, GetTitleData) or the Tags and Custom Data for catalog items (https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Admin/datatype/DataModel/PlayFab.DataModel.CatalogItem?MarkOptionalProperties=True). We also have additional options with Shared Group Data and User Data, so if you could describe your need more specifically, I'm sure we can find a solution for you in our service.

Brendan

Cadrickloh said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:58 AM

What's the limit of the value of TitleData?
I used to find it somewhere stated that for all Value it only can contains 1024 characters? Is that true?

What if my data exceeds that? Since it's 1024 characters instead of 1024KB.

Brendan Vanous said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 7:34 AM

Yes, Key/Value pairs, both Title and User Data, are strings in our system and are limited to 128KB. Can you point me to where you found a reference saying it's 1024KB? I'd like to get that corrected.

Brendan

Cadrickloh said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 8:10 PM

Nono, there isn't any reference saying it's 1024KB. I've mistyped it. Sorry

Brendan Vanous said on Wed, 08 July 2015 at 8:52 PM

No worries - thanks for the follow-up!

Brendan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ien@alum.mit.edu avatar image
ien@alum.mit.edu answered

Hi Brandan - it seems Playfab has reduced the Title Data limit to 100 keys with max 10 KB values. That's quite a strict limit. Is that really intended to be enough for DLC?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Actually, we always had this limit on the total amount of data, it's just that we adjusted the per-key storage amount, to help with making sure titles are as efficient as possible in terms of data use. That said, if you have a need to go over any of the limits stated for our free service, please let us know via email at devrel@playfab.com and we'll work out a specific contract for you with the costs for this (they'll be relatively low, as this is all at scale - the limits as stated are for our free service).

For Content, like DLC, we have a distinct Content service, which uses CloudFront. I would recommend using it for distribution of downloadable content packages. Title Data is really intended for things like game settings and configuration info.

https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Client#Content

https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Admin#Content

10 |1200

ien@alum.mit.edu avatar image
ien@alum.mit.edu answered

Thanks Brendan!

Is this the fullest general documentation (aside from the API docs) about this service? Is it still not integrated into the Game Manager? Also is this all free without size limits? (Seems unlikely!)

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That's a good reference for using the Content service still, yes. And no, it's not currently integrated into the Game Manager - that's still on our to-do list.

We haven't really defined a limit for Content, but that's largely because like custom game servers, the cost is passed on directly, with a 10% fee to cover our costs. So any CloudFront usage by your title will show up in your monthly bill for the service. You can check the prices for CloudFront in AWS here, to confirm what your expected costs will be before you start using it: https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.