question

Orcun Nisli avatar image
Orcun Nisli asked

LogEvent Confusion

Hi,

Since 2-3 weeks I dived deep into PlayFab, I already implemented UserData and UserStats, yet I still got many confusions and most of them focus on PlayStream (equals to the Analytics on PlayFab I guess).

I am an experienced clientside developer but I am not familiar with serverside implementations and it is my almost first time with analytics. So here are my questions:

1-) The Client documentation shows a call WritePlayerRequest that i could not found but I found LogEvent call that looks very similar to WritePlayerRequest. Are they the same thing?

2-) I want to cache my analytic info if the player is offline. When player becomes online i want to send analytic information to Playfab service that might lead to send 50-100 events at the same time. Is there any batched way of sending data in a single LogEvent call. I guess I must avoid using body parameter to send multiple events inside single call.

3-) After sending my analyse informations, how could i convert the data to graphics etc...? I could not found any tutorial about that part.

4-) I also confused about Segments and Actions. I barely understand what segments for, yet I am very confused what actions are for? Is there any good examples, so I could understand if I might need them or not?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Actually, I would describe PlayStream as automated live game operations, rather than analytics. In other words, the ability to do detailed segmentation on your players and take customized actions based upon player behaviors. For deep-dive analytics, we have partners in our Add-ons Marketplace you can use, or you can get all the data locally via the Event Archive tab in PlayStream, so that you can do your own analysis.

For your other questions:

> 1-) The Client documentation shows a call WritePlayerRequest that i could not found but I found LogEvent call that looks very similar to WritePlayerRequest. Are they the same thing?

The LogEvent call has been deprecated in favor of the Write...Event calls, so I would use them instead. The latest SDKs have been updated with those calls, so you should see them - which SDK are you using, and what version is it?

> 2-) I want to cache my analytic info if the player is offline. When player becomes online i want to send analytic information to Playfab service that might lead to send 50-100 events at the same time. Is there any batched way of sending data in a single LogEvent call. I guess I must avoid using body parameter to send multiple events inside single call.

No, we do not currently support batched events. You would need to either send your events as a group in a single custom event, or stage them out over time. The key is ensuring that you do not hit the service with a high volume of requests for a single client all at once, as that could cause throttling on your title. Please ensure that you are sending API requests to the service at a rate of less than one per second (assuming a normal level of data read/written in a single pass).

> 3-) After sending my analyse informations, how could i convert the data to graphics etc...? I could not found any tutorial about that part.

You can either use local analysis via a tool like Tableau, by sending the events to your own S3 storage directly, or by signing up with one of our analytics partners, for deep-dive analytics.

> 4-) I also confused about Segments and Actions. I barely understand what segments for, yet I am very confused what actions are for? Is there any good examples, so I could understand if I might need them or not?

I would recommend having a look at this post: https://playfab.com/introducing-playstream/. In short, Segments are groups of users with behaviors matching a defined set, while Actions are the things you do to give those players customized behaviors based upon their actions. So for example, you could define a Segment to be all the players who have posted to your forums at least once, made it to at least level 10 in your game, but haven't played in the last 7 days. Those are players you want to pull back into the game, so an Action you define might be that when a player enters that Segment, you send them a Push Notification and grant them some virtual currency.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.