question

Will Iverson avatar image
Will Iverson asked

Valid display name characters?

What are the valid character sets for a display name?

Thanks,

-Will

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

As you saw, there's another thread on this here, so I'll follow up there.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Will Iverson avatar image Will Iverson commented ·

The other Q was (I think) for username, not display name.

I guess what I'm really looking for (ideally) are defined criteria for username, display name, and password to register a user.

https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Client/method/RegisterPlayFabUser

Username is set in the docs as 3-20 characters, but does not include the restrictions in the other thread. I've also noticed that it appears that the username is converted to lower-case.

Password shows as 6-100 characters, but no other limit is shown.

DisplayName just says "optional".

There also does not appear to be any documentation on the values that can come back for InvalidParams. I've seen Username, Email, and Password come back so far.

Reasons: I'd like to be able to provide better client-side validation for registration. I'd also like to know what locales/regions are supported by PlayFab, so I can sort out if I need to do anything on my end (for example, if username only supports lowercase US ASCII letters, that will affect internationalization/localization).

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Will Iverson commented ·

Oh, sorry - I assumed you meant Username, since Title Display Name is not restricted. It can be any valid string, between 3 and 25 characters long.

Password is any valid string from 6 to 100 characters in length.

InvalidParams is a catch-all for any of the input parameters not matching the validation check, and specific details will be in the errorDetails parameter of the response.

And to complete this, Username can contain any A-Z, upper or lower case, and numbers, and is 3 to 20 characters.

We'll be updating the docs soon, to provide additional info on many calls - the tools lead and I are actually doing planning on this right now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Will Iverson avatar image Will Iverson commented ·

Hi Brendan -

I'm not trying to be difficult, I need a bit more detail to the answer to "what are the valid character sets" than "any valid string from 6 to 100" - that's kind of a tautology. :)

I'm assuming that you guys are accepting UTF-8 encoded character sets. Unicode defines a huge range of characters - Wikipedia says there are over 128,000 defined characters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

For example, you might say that any valid Latin characters (Basic, Latin-1, Extended A & B) are supported, as are Cyrillic and Armenian, but (for example) the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are explicitly not supported.

This support affects client software, because I need to know what character sets are supported so I can filter them in my game, and it's also important for operational support for things like searching for a character.

Even something as basic as A-Z upper & lower, and numbers, from a documentation perspective should ideally be specified in terms of Unicode character support.

Unicode can be a Big Thing(tm) to deal with - if you guys aren't there yet, let me know. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Will Iverson commented ·

Sorry, I realize it may seem that way, but it's actually not. When I say any valid string, I mean that in the most literal technical sense, using the .Net definition of a string (the part I should have been more clear about): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.string(v=vs.110).aspx. And yes, UTF-8.

So yes, all Unicode characters should be supported. If you find a case where they're not, feel free to let us know your repro details, so that we can investigate.

1 Like 1 ·
Will Iverson avatar image Will Iverson brendan commented ·

Great - thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Hiroaki Komatsu avatar image
Hiroaki Komatsu answered

I am currently trying to use Friend list and since FriendInfo only has access to DisplayName and not player data, i was thinking of using Display Name for user screen name, but the problem is 3-25 letters, we are targeting Japanese and our names are usuallly 1 or 2 letters.... Making display name kind of useless... Is there any work around for this?

Calling for each friend to get their friend player data is of course not good.

2 comments
10 |1200

Hiroaki Komatsu avatar image Hiroaki Komatsu commented ·

We decided to just add unnecessary letters to store the name if its smaller than 3 letters.

But I do feel that its a hack and if PlayFab can allow 1-3 character display name, I think it is more optimal for international users.

0 Likes 0 ·
nws1gawr avatar image nws1gawr commented ·

any update or workaround on this? Azure need to do something for real

0 Likes 0 ·
joviex avatar image
joviex answered

When are the docs supposed to be getting updated? This answer, and the docs, are still 5 years old?

When are you updating the docs? Its literally been 5 years?

10 |1200

nws1gawr avatar image
nws1gawr answered

hello any update?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.