question

Richard avatar image
Richard asked

[Beta] What's missing in guild system?

We would like to implement a guild system just like Clash Royale, I am happy to see some guild functions are already in beta, including trading within guild members, etc. Here something I think it's important but I cannot find:

1. Search guild by name or id.
2. Advanced search by geo-location, number of members, guild points and guild permission type.
3. Guild chat (a list of chat messages and trade requests within couple days)

We are in a situation that 10% done setting up our own server for guild and be definitely prefer have it done in PlayFab instead, so would like to know when would PlayFab will complete guild so we can use and ship our game as scheduled.

Shared Group Data
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Richard avatar image Richard commented ·

P.S. I assume the geo-location is saved as "Guild Data" and guild points is a the guild statistic aggregation which is sum of all player's points (automatically)

(why I cannot edit my own question so I can make my question more clear and not using this comment reply!?)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, Guilds are not in a beta state in PlayFab as of yet. The API signatures were added as part of a review with beta customers, to see if the proposed interfaces met their need. We don't have a scheduled date as of yet for when a full Guild implementation will be available, though we do want to add that as soon as we can. If your title is intended to ship soon, I would recommend proceeding with the implementation you've already started. Otherwise, if you have a lot of runway still, it might be best to have a conversation with our business team on what options might be available.

As to editing of posts, that's due to the way the Reputation system works in AnswerHub - our settings are designed to prevent abuse by spammers, who hit out forums pretty hard back before we switched to this newer forum solution. Zero reputation posters can't even post directly - theirs go to a moderation queue. Once you have built up rep in the system, it'll allow you to edit your own posts, as well.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Richard avatar image Richard commented ·

Thx brendan,

I have also explored other questions, some people can successfully implement a simple guild with Share Group Data. I think it may be do-able to make a Clash-Royale-like guild system with Share Group Data + CloudScript connecting a external database (For store all guild data, chat message, etc).

But I suspect there will be a lot of data conversion for PlayFab from/to the guild database (e.g. update guild scores on each member end game, search and join a guild in database result joining the share group, etc) and don't see it will reduce much complexity from building my own Guild+Player database, while I'm not familiar with CloudScript...

What do you think...?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Richard commented ·

Shared Group Data is only of very limited use, and so really wouldn't work for a Guild system. It's designed to let a small number of people share data (like save info for an asynchronous game with a few players). It cannot be used for read or write by a large number of players as it is effectively the same as user data - each key is a single row in a data table. So if many players were to try accessing it, you'd have delays and timeouts.

To build a true Guild system in the near-term (before ours is available), you would need to use an external data table.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.