question

Alexander Tretyakov avatar image
Alexander Tretyakov asked

[UE] Using PlayFab OSS plugin for matchmaking

Hello,

I've managed to integrate PlayFab's Online Subsystem plugin into our UE project but I'm unable to login or use matchmaking with it. The documentation states that you have to specify your NativePlatformService, we are developing our title for Windows but we don't use GDK or Steam so I'm confused what should I specify here.

First, I specified GDK but this does not allow me to use login or use matchmaking because PlayFab's IOnlineIdentity::Login implementation uses the macro OSS_PLAYFAB_GET_NATIVE_IDENTITY_INTERFACE which uses NativeSubsystem = IOnlineSubsystem::GetByPlatform() to get the GDK subsystem but it fails because we don't have GDK module in our project, this results in a login call being failed. Same goes for matchmaking, under the hood FindSession uses the same macro and fails the same way. If I don't specify NativePlatformService at all this call to native subsystem also fails because none is specified.

What should I do in this case?

Best regards, Alexander.

unrealMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Before using the PlayFab Online Subsystem (PF OSS), please note that "It is currently designed for use when developing PC, Xbox, Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4 games. PlayFab Online Subsystem (PF OSS) works seamlessly on top of the existing Epic provided base Online Subsystem (OSS) GDK. PlayFab OSS compliments the base OSS by adding support for PlayFab Lobby, Matchmaking, Party networking and Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP)." For more details, see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/networking/party-unreal-engine-oss-overview . Currently, PF OSS supports the following platforms:

Xbox Series X GDK

PC GDK

Xbox One GDK

PC Steam

Nintendo Switch

PS5™ and PS4™

For other platforms, PF OSS can't be used. As a workaround, if you want to implement matchmaking outside of the above platforms, you can try to integrate the C++ Multiplayer SDK by yourself.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.