question

m-j-e-s-s-e avatar image
m-j-e-s-s-e asked

[UE5.1] Any Way to View Server Log While Server Active?

Hi all,

Is there any way to view the realtime logs of an active server?

Of course, passing an argument of -log in to the exe works for local deployments.

However, I noticed even if I specify that option in the startup command, and RDP into the server, I don't see any cmd prompts running.

Using either of these commands doesn't seem to do anything: C:\Assets\WindowsServer\MyServer.exe C:\Assets\WindowsServer\MyServer.exe -log

I have been reviewing the logs after server shutdown, which helps, but I often lose context of what was happening (leading me to increase logging levels). Would be much easier if I could validate things real time.

Why not do this on a local deployment? Well, the issue I'm trying to fix is related to server backfill, also wasn't sure if there was a way to simulate backfill on local deployments. I've been overriding the matchId from my live instance.

unreal
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

m-j-e-s-s-e avatar image m-j-e-s-s-e commented ·

Running a windows server, probably good to mention.

Edit: Resolved my backfill issue, but still curious.

0 Likes 0 ·
Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

May I know what mode are you using? It is normal that cmd prompts not showing up. But the corresponding process is still running in the background. If you are using container mode, please follow: Connect directly to debug game servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. If you are using process mode, you may need to find log file in the virtual machine file explorer.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I'll review the provided documentation thanks.

1 Like 1 ·
m-j-e-s-s-e avatar image m-j-e-s-s-e m-j-e-s-s-e commented ·

Picking this project back up;

Following up on this, I was able to find the logs in the D drive on the virtual machine after gaining access to the docker process and reviewing the configurations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios avatar image
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios answered

We've been working on some solutions for log streaming using a preview feature -> wanna take a look and let us know if it can work for you? https://github.com/PlayFab/VmStartupScriptGallery

It needs some setup, definitely, but we're here to help in any way.

1 comment
10 |1200

I'll consider reviewing this, haven't had much time lately. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.