question

sandaola avatar image
sandaola asked

Unity PlayFab getting started,Getting started with PlayFab inside Unity

Hi there,

This is my first visit here.

So I have downloaded the "PlayFab Angrybots Demo" and tried the user authentication (register and login), which works very well.

At this point, I am not interrested in the Angrybots game itself, but rather how to setup the PlayFab, so I can use it in my own game.

Is there demo, where only the PlayFab part is in it ? Or should I just use the "PlayFab Angrybots Demo" and then delete everything else, but the PlayFab Prefabs ?

Or what would be the easiest way for me, to implement the PlayFab user authentication within my own simple game ?

Authentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, I would recommend using the Unicorn Battle code as your example, as the AngryBots demo is quite old at this point, and using some deprecated functionality. We'll likely be removing that repo soon, to prevent confusion. But I'd really recommend using it as a reference, rather than the basis for your own game. Since you're a Unity developer, I would recommend following our Getting Started Guide in that SDK, to get a quick overview of adding PlayFab calls to your game (and creating a project with your first call to our service).

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sandaola avatar image sandaola commented ·

Hi Brendan, thanks for your assistance.

I will definitely try that out (and let you know) :)

0 Likes 0 ·
sandaola avatar image
sandaola answered

Hi Brendan:)

Took a look at that Unicorn Battle project.

It says in the readme file, "This is an advanced example and can be quite dense at times due to the many sub-systems." Also downloaded and run within Unity, but got several errors, so I couldn't test it out.

And in the Getting Started Guide, all I can do, is get a message printed out ""Congratulations, you made your first successful API call".

So now I have to make the IMGUI from scratch and after that, I need to find out how to register users, etc.

I was hoping for a "starters package" or something like that. What I mean, is that I was hoping, that I just could download and import the SDK into my already existing Unity project and from there, only drag the prefabs/scripts into my game, so I would get the User Authentication including the GUI needed (and when I needed more features, I could just drag and drop the wanted ones, into my project the same way). Or at least to see a VERY simple game, using the PlayFab prefabs.

Because both the Unicorn Battle and the Angrybots Demo projects are kind of advanced games and I find it not easy to "extract" the PlayFab part of it, so I can use it in my own game.

I have been using parse.com a year now with success, but the reason I am leaving parse, is because I feel I always am struggling with the documentation, meaning I have to make tweaks to the syntax, for getting it working, which takes me ages to figure out.

So now I am looking for an alternative BAAS to parse and therefore I am here :)

It looks so simple to drag and drop the prefabs, in the PlayFab Unity Demo series on youtube, but I cannot get it working that way, or maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Do you have any more advice ?

6 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Correct - Unicorn Battle is more like a complete game, which is why I recommend using the Getting Started Guide from the SDK itself. You can also have a look at our "recipe" samples, though please note that we're in the process of updating those now. But I should point out that if you got the "Contratulations, you made your first successful API call." message, that means you made it to the success callback and logged your player into your title in PlayFab, which is what it sounds like you were looking for info on how to do.

We have a pretty wide range of documentation and samples, and we'll continue to add more, but I'm afraid we do not provide a pre-built GUI that's intended for a shipping game. Our service is specifically the backend functionality for games - we don't interfere in the presentation layer to the player.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Actually, I do have one more suggestion - you could also have a look at the client example in our basic game server repo. That example project shows a simple client project which signs into PlayFab and makes a connection to a custom game server. So it also shows more than your basic sign-in case, but on the upside, it also demonstrates all the basics of hosting and connecting to a custom game server in PlayFab, which may well be something you'll need for your current project or a future one.

0 Likes 0 ·
pmattei0 avatar image pmattei0 brendan commented ·

Thanks for your reply.

Ive just one question, can I follow this Angry Bot tutorial with the Unicorn scene on Unity ?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan pmattei0 commented ·

I would recommend starting with our newer video tutorial series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqPiIlpQFBc&list=PLHCfyL7JpoPZz3NuJq-pvyJjoyRQ3Weru.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.