question

zomb avatar image
zomb asked

More info about upcoming update

Hello. Brendan mentioned upcoming update many times. Now I need to know more details about improvements of group data and leaderboards. My team searched external service only for building leaderboard and clan system and as soon this way of geting data is not allowed, all our plans about using playfab depends from your upcoming features. Here list of abilities, what I need.

1) group leaderboard and/or group list. I mean ability to create, fetch and show list of groups sorted by custom parameters (like ordered by points or only not full clans)
2) access to fields of group from list in (1). I mean ability to show custom info of group from group data in group list in one request
3) access to fields of player from player's leaderboard. I mean ability to show player's group or something else from one leaderboard request
4) resolving of concurent requests for updating data fields of one group from many clients (I need to store and update sum points in clan data or store it in every player's statistics and iterate them all to calculate it)
5) geting and updating data fields of all members of group in one request (To show names and levels of clanmates in clan profile)
6) access restrictions for group data fields like for player data fields (public, private, read-only) for MEMBERS of group

Please, tell me clear, is it worth to wait your update or we need to search another system?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, as I said in the other thread, having additional data per column in leaderboards is something we're working on, and which we hope to make available later this quarter. If I'm reading your requirements correctly, many of those will indeed be workable in our upcoming release. Certainly, we'll be providing what's needed for driving guild leaderboards, such as you describe, and since we'll be maintaining our current permissions/API model, you'll be able to effectively gate which players can make changes based upon any criteria you choose, via Cloud Script. The one thing you list that I'm not sure about is #5 - "getting and updating data fields of all members of group in one request". You say there that this is for showing the "names and levels of clanmates in clan profile", but really, #2 and #3 would be sufficient for that, so it's the "updating" part of that statement I can't confirm without more specifics on your requirements. For example, right now you could set up a Task in our PlayStream automation that could iterate across all players and update values, so it's possible that's already enabled.

As to whether you should wait on this update, that's really down to how urgent this is for your title. As I said, our goal is to release this update this quarter. But that said, as a live service, we may have other priorities which push this into Q2. We prioritize largely based upon the needs of the majority of titles (which, as an aside, is part of why we make sure to highlight where items are on our backlog - the more people we hear from about a particular feature, the higher we can prioritize it), so we do have to take that into consideration. So if your current schedule could be jeopardized by that, I would recommend considering external data table options (which could then be accessed via Cloud Script).

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zomb avatar image zomb commented ·

>The one thing you list that I'm not sure about is #5 - "getting and updating data fields of all members of group in one request".

I mean here 2 cases:
1) List of members of group. Now we got just list IDs in 'members' field. I want to show batch of their info in one table (like nickname, maybe credo from data field, maybe level or points from statistics fields)
2) Calculating and applying of clan rewards. I take stats of all members, I make some calculations and afer it I need ta add to all players of group rewards in form of statistics changes, currency or items. If I iterate groups, I will need to mass updating. If I iterate users separately, I will calculate sum clan parameters for every player instead of 1 for group.

And you don't notice point 4. It is very important too. Some cases we can solve with separating recording data between players (like every player stored it's own clan points and if we need sum - we iterate all of it). But things like action log should storing in one instance in group data. And if 2 players will try to update it at the same time, we will loose part of data.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan zomb commented ·

Sorry, I wasn't skipping 4, I meant that it was part of the "many of those will be workable" part of the response. As part of the update, we'll be enabling aggregated scores across players, specifically for the guild-type scenarios - so yes, we'll definitely be doing this in a way that ensures no score reports are lost. It sounds like that'll cover your item 5 as well, so I'd say that it's down to whether you have an urgent need for this in the short-term.

0 Likes 0 ·
zomb avatar image zomb brendan commented ·

Thank you for your answers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.