question

entelicon avatar image
entelicon asked

Server Pricing and Performance

Using PlayFabs servers, how much does an individual server cost me if I want to have an extra? I also want to know the performance of these servers and if they are good compared to competitors.

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

To be clear, all our core services are managed by us directly and scale to any number of users - you do not have to concern yourself with any server specifics.

If you have custom game server builds that you want to run (to host player game sessions), you can host them with us, or in any game server provider you choose, and use our matchmaker to get players into sessions. The advantages to hosting with us are that we automatically scale up/down the number of servers you're using based upon the number of active sessions you have (to a maximum number of servers you specify), and we automatically collect log and output files from your custom game servers and make them available to you in the Game Manager.

Hosting in PlayFab is in AWS EC2, on Windows 2K12 R2 on-demand servers, and we are able to use any server model available in that service. The pricing is the straight EC2 cost plus 10% to cover our costs. You can find all the details on EC2 pricing here: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/ (use the Windows tab).

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

entelicon avatar image entelicon commented ·

Just to confirm, pricing will be based off of these + 10% correct?

If that is the case, on average for a real time game what model would you recommend. I know this varies for every game, but I'm just looking for a range, even if it's a broad one. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan entelicon commented ·

Specifically the Windows tab, yes. And you're right that the server model and the number of players it support is going to vary hugely from game to game. Most games tend to use the beefier models if they have a decent player base, since that lets them minimize the number of instances running. The best thing to do is do some initial testing with the t2.medium we provide for development, so that you can check the performance. If it's not beefy enough, I'd try stepping up to something like a c3.large and doing perf tests on it (since I see a lot more CPU bound games than memory bound - but again, your mileage may vary).

0 Likes 0 ·
entelicon avatar image entelicon brendan commented ·

Ah, thanks for that information. What about the security of Amazons servers? I'm new to servers in general, but will they be able to handle against attacks from exploiters?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.