question

peg avatar image
peg asked

Example Custom Server without StrangeIOC?

Are there any plans to create a custom game server example that does not depend on StrangeIOC? I completely understand if not, since we can always just write our own with the APIs provided, but I am curious. Even a couple of docs with example code would be great.

Here's why I am asking:

The current example is frustrating if you are not interested in using Strange. I would say the bulk of the work in parsing the current custom server is in understanding Strange's implementation of the IOC pattern, when I'm specifically coming to an example server like this see how Playfab is integrated with a custom server. It essentially obfuscated by the design pattern.

I have no problem with the IOC pattern, and generally use some variation of MVC in my development, but it just seems like a poor fit for what should be a straightforward example. Also, since we may end up targeting windows devices, we literally can't use it, since it depends on Reflection, which is not supported on Windows Store (and Xbox IIRC).

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, but we don't have plans to create additional server example projects right now. That said, if others are willing to share links to their own sample projects, we'd be more than happy to host links to those projects.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

peg avatar image peg commented ·

Understood, thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone will feel generous with their own work (or maybe if I get there I will :P).

0 Likes 0 ·
bobb avatar image bobb commented ·

I too would love stripped down example without StrangeIOC. I've never used Strange before (been in this business for 20 years) and I think it's odd to enforce two things for someone to learn in order to use your product features. Not only that but the current version is broken and no scripts show working in any of the inspector references so I can't even start to work through what you are trying to teach us.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.