question

funghonwai avatar image
funghonwai asked

How is the proper way to how additional user data in leaderboard?

In my project each player is assigned a clan/team, I want to show the team name when showing leaderboards. Apparently the most straight forward way is store this as user data.

However it implies every leaderboard entry requires an additional API call of GetUserData, would it triggers API calls limit and be throttled and thus break the logic?

Player DataLeaderboards and StatisticsCharacter Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We are working on an update for the leaderboards system which we hope to make available later this quarter. One thing that update is specifically designed to do is to allow you to store arbitrary data for each entry in the leaderboard.

Making distinct calls to get data for each entry in a leaderboard is not viable, as it would generate an excessive number of calls per client. That, in turn, could result in the title being throttled, which would impact the gameplay experience.

What we would recommend for now is to only request extra data on entries that the player clicks through to see more information on (similar to the "gamercard" systems in consoles).

8 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zomb avatar image zomb commented ·

I have made special cloudscrip function, which I call instead of Leaderboard request. It calls leaderboard internally and iterate all returned users. For each calls it profile and adds nesessery data to responce. So, only 1 call returns all data. But i don't test it for filled leaderboard yet

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
zomb avatar image zomb commented ·

Can you determine, what exactly is "excessive number" of requests is, please? If this is not restricted for execution time, how it is restricted? And if I can't use many API calls, what script can do for hit that 5 second limit at all?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.