question

chad avatar image
chad asked

Calling API Manually with Raw HTTP

Before I start, if there's a better way to handle content management with PlayFab please let me know, but as of writing it seems the only way to manage the content server with PlayFab is by writing custom software.. -- I'm trying to write a small program to manage content uploads to the content server (using Windows Forms) and so far I have all "DeleteContent" "GetContentList" and "GetContentUploadUrl" from the Admin API working perfectly, but when I try to implement "GetContentDownloadUrl" from the Client API I get back garbled text. I've been trying for the past few days to figure out whether this text is in some kind of encoding or whether it's an encryption issue but can't seem to figure out why the response from this call is so radically different from the other calls that have the same raw https request patterns.   See image attached. Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix this code so that I get clean Json returned from this call?     For reference, here is the same code returning clean Json from another API call.     Thank you, Chad
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That looks like un-initialized memory, so I suspect that the call is failing for some reason. Can you check for the exception conditions in your code, to see if there was an issue? What is the StatusCode of the response?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

chad avatar image
chad answered

No errors occur. The status code says "OK".

I'm thinking this API call isn't supposed to access the AWS data, it's just supposed to return a URL string, so un-initialized memory would be an odd problem for this call I would imagine.

What I'm expecting this call to return is Json like this:

{
 "code": 200,
 "status": "OK",
 "data": {
  "URL": "<URL HERE>"
 },
 "CallBackTimeMS": 224
}
10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Does this reproduce when you make the call from Postman? Can you provide us with the Title ID you're using for this, and is it okay if we create a player account in that title to test it? Oh, and is "Test" the only Key you're seeing this with, or do you see it for any Client call to this API method?

10 |1200

chad avatar image
chad answered

It seems to be working fine when using Postman. I seem to be seeing this with only API client calls to this particular API call url as I haven't tried any other urls using this method (I just need this last API call to work to get my manager app working. All other calls will be through unity using classes from PlayFab)

I'll just send a private email with the VS project files for my manager app if that's okay.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, but this is going to go much faster if we work with you on testing the issue on your side, as we're not really set up to dig into the code base for all developers. We do have support contracts for developers who need more hands-on work with us, but I wouldn't recommend going that route for a single issue.

In this case, we know that the call is working from Postman, and in our own SDK testing. Since all calls operate exactly the same way on the back-end (the SDKs, for example, just wrap the Web API calls), for a given set of inputs the returned data will be the same. So given that you're seeing the correct data in a call to Postman, and that you're getting a 200 (success) in the response, that means the data is coming back from the service the same way for your Forms version. So there has to be an issue with how the data is being parsed in the client code somewhere.

And looking at this again, could you try removing the gzip/deflate Accept-Encoding? I suspect that what we're seeing is that the StreamReader isn't correctly handling decompression, and the GetContentList call just looks normal because it's below the threshold length for Zip to have done anything with it (below a certain size, Zip is inefficient, so most libraries will just leave the submitted bytes alone).

10 |1200

chad avatar image
chad answered

Aha! That did it!

I didn't know that about gzip/deflate. I guess I was assuming that the stream was always being compressed/decompressed so didn't think anything of that particular line of code.

Thank you so much!

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Happy to help! Of course, I'd recommend always using zip, so it's worth checking your StreamReader, to see why it wasn't able to parse the zipped data correctly.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.